Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for my lack of knowledge but what exactly is this part? (see circled part in pic)

IMG_20180422_175100_143.jpg

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Apologies for my lack of knowledge but what exactly is this part? (see circled part in pic)

View attachment 32897
That is the charcoal canister which collects all fumes from the engine and fuel tank breathers redirecting them back in through the airbox to be burnt as part of the combustion proccess. They were mainly fitted to Californian bikes but now they all come fitted with them and they are mounted on the right side of the oil cooler on later models and covered with a cowl that resembles the one on the left.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. My friend who has a 2017 Scrambler Classic doesn't have one of these...unless it's located elsewhere and hidden. He was the one to ask me what that thing was on my bike...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
What do they add (to performance? )?
Has my FTP got one?
They don't really add anything but many areas forbid venting to atmosphere. Instead of venting to atmosphere the fumes go through a charcoal canister and then get burnt. the theory is that all combustible fuel and vapours get burnt creating less raw emissions.
A point of interest; Try not to overfill the fuel tank as some fuel can travel down the vent line and into the canister, (the same fuel that used to find its way onto your rear tyre in the old days) effectively blocks off the vent and can cause problems with fueling. Even to the degree that a tank can collapse due to vacuum or best case stop the engine and make it near impossible to open the filler cap.
As for your FTP it will depend what year and what market. ie. California has always had them and everybody else since 2017 (I think)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all this valuable info.
In terms of emissions, I'm glad they implemented the charcoal canister.

The manual specifies how far up to fuel up so that also makes sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts