Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone asked me what kind of bike my Icon is and I’m not sure how to answer. I looked it up and Wikipedia says it’s a “standard motorcycle” or roadster.

Not that it matters, but I was thinking about the type of motorcycle and couldn’t figure it out. So, just curious. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah it’s a ‘standard’, which is, as the name implies, just means it is a general purpose motorcycle. It’s good for city riding and country roads. Of course it can do highway, track and off road also, but not as well as a more specialized vehicle.

The stock tires give it a little off road vibe but nowhere near enough to change it’s classification.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just a motorcycle.
It´s not a manga vehicle, a Cadillac in two wheels, a desperado´s machine, the Amundsen´s tool or the faster-than-yours bike.....nor a TMax of course.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also heard it referred to as a tracker, or street tracker. Does that apply? (I had never heard the term before but Google enlightened me.) :)

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Nah, not a tracker, a tracker needs to have 19" wheels front and rear to be taken seriously.

A fun little nekkid bike that can do the occasional unpaved road?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Icon is short in this instance for Iconic. It is the closest bike in the current Scrambler line up to the iconic Ducati Scrambler of the late 1960s-early 1970s. The colour, the seat shape, the bars, the overall stance all mimic and pay homage to the original Scrambler in a way that none of the other Scrambler models do or are designed to do. What sort of bike is an Icon? It’s a Scrambler pure and simple.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who gives a Faaaaark, its just a fun motorcycle.
I work in accounting, I love to know how to classify things! :) Just curious, I have a sport bike and a dual sport, and I was looking at the Icon, and I didn’t know what it was.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Icon is short in this instance for Iconic. It is the closest bike in the current Scrambler line up to the iconic Ducati Scrambler of the late 1960s-early 1970s. The colour, the seat shape, the bars, the overall stance all mimic and pay homage to the original Scrambler in a way that none of the other Scrambler models do or are designed to do. What sort of bike is an Icon? It’s a Scrambler pure and simple.
I saw an amazing pic of the original scrambler in yellow next to the new one in yellow, i thought it was so cool how close in looks they are!

Edited to add: I think it was somewhere in the Pictures of Your Scrambler Somewhere thread.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for indulging me on this question. :) I know classification really isn’t a big deal, I just got to thinking about it and was curious. Clearly, it doesn’t fall into a specific category. I do love it though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts