Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2018 Scrambler. On ride home (about 20 mins into it) shifting became very stiff,(5,4,3), like extremely. Neutral non existing (but ya we know about that quirk already).
Clutch wouldn't disengage entirely at lights.

So I'd assumed it was clutch cable adjustment, stretching, new bike and all. Sits in garage for a 2 weeks. Take it out, cold running = perfect. After 20+ mins same problems.
Dealer picks it up but after 2 weeks it's still undiagnosed. Mechanic wants to pull transmission etc etc.

Wtf?? So my brand new bike with 42km on it has been unridable since day1. I've spoken to Ducati Support a few times, emails, dealer calls/emails etc... Still no word??!!

Should I get a replacement?
Would you accept this?
Even if they pull the transmission how long for parts and labour would I now have to wait to ride my new bike?

I will post updates here as I get them.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Legal advice and then insist on your rights, which hopefully will be a replacement with the dealer you bought it from.
Do you know a friendly Solicitor? If not Google, Citizens Advice, and a paid for Solicitors letter.
If the dealer was decent they would have taken care of the matter for you.
Very sorry for your predicament.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 weeks now and still getting the runaround. Bike remains undiagnosed.

What type of lawyer should I be looking for?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He has. But they haven't been able to figure out what's wrong with my "new bike" . It's been 2 weeks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible the dealer is making money by keeping it there so long? I mean, they must be billing Ducati for the time to diagnose & repair, no?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Basically they just confirmed the symptoms and that's it. And they got no idea what to do.

Call the dealer and ask for the owner. Be polite but firm and stand your ground. Ask if they filed your problem at Ducati Canada, ask for the SR # (there must be a ticket number of some sorts). Next day, call Ducati Canada, ask for the national service manager. Ask if he's aware of this problem. Ask if he would be willing to approach the dealer and help solve this problem... bla bla.

At this low mileage I'd demand a new one.

Good luck!

PS, if you have a loan on the bike you could suggest either the dealer or Ducati make your payments as long as you can't ride your bike. You need a consumer protection attorney.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Is it possible the dealer is making money by keeping it there so long? I mean, they must be billing Ducati for the time to diagnose & repair, no?
Unlikely. These warranty jobs are usually done at a fixed rate that does not mean the dealer makes money. If he has a tech working on it instead of working on retail jobs he would be losing money big time compared to the charge out on the retail jobs.

·
Registered
733 Posts
WTY work is great off season - when the workshops are quiet - keeps techs busy and some cash rolling in - but high season... they prefer paying customers.... higher revenue... easier work... less waiting times and ear ache off the customers.... so I would think dealer wants it shot as much as you want it back.

That said... I would be calling Ducati HQ for support and a replacement.... but first I would ask the Dealer Principle the same questions ... He has to be your first contact... if he does not give you a good answer then Ducati HQ.... Then a lawyer / press....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WTY work is great off season - when the workshops are quiet - keeps techs busy and some cash rolling in - but high season... they prefer paying customers.... higher revenue... easier work... less waiting times and ear ache off the customers.... so I would think dealer wants it shot as much as you want it back.

That said... I would be calling Ducati HQ for support and a replacement.... but first I would ask the Dealer Principle the same questions ... He has to be your first contact... if he does not give you a good answer then Ducati HQ.... Then a lawyer / press....

Yup, that makes sense.
I've pretty much been doing what you've suggested. Dealer, HQ, press (I know a guy).
Dealer said they're swapping out the clutch which should solve the problem.
He promised if that doesn't work he'll exchange the bike. Should know by Tuesday (21st).

Appreciate the input from you guys, thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a 2018 Scrambler. On ride home (about 20 mins into it) shifting became very stiff,(5,4,3), like extremely. Neutral non existing (but ya we know about that quirk already).
Clutch wouldn't disengage entirely at lights.

So I'd assumed it was clutch cable adjustment, stretching, new bike and all. Sits in garage for a 2 weeks. Take it out, cold running = perfect. After 20+ mins same problems.
Mine did the same thing. The preformed clutch cable was the problem--it has a bit of a kink where it exits the handlebar housing. I carefully aligned it with a zip tie.

I know you're thinking, "How can such a dramatic problem have such a simple cause and fix?" That was my reaction, too. I was too smart by half.

5k kms later, the problem continues to be solved with a zip tie.

YMMV

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had read your posted solution about this before. I wonder if the techs in my dealer garage even considered that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dealer said they're swapping out the clutch which should solve the problem.
He promised if that doesn't work he'll exchange the bike. Should know by Tuesday (21st).
Hey man, I was just made aware of your thread, exact same thing happening with mine (here's the thread). I can very much sympathize :(

You mentioned that you'll hear back by the 21st - PLEASE keep me/us posted on the verdict.

·
Registered
198 Posts
IMG_20180827_162516.jpg IMG_20180827_162459.jpg
I will try to upload better photos. There must be something wrong maybe needing better calibration. The bike has only 50kms but I had the same problem during the 2 25kms rides I had.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts