Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that people that have had their bikes serviced at the dealer, have had what seems to be RTV sealant put on the drain plug.

Thing is RTV takes 24hrs to properly cure. So do they keep your bike for 24hrs? or is this not RTV sealant?

What is the deal with this? Never put any of that on any other bike or car for that matter on a drain plug.

Are Ducati just being 'extra' cautious? Anyone here work at Ducati, or know someone how works at Ducati? Was there a bulletin about leaking oil plugs or something? Or is this just simply a Ducati trait ?

Really curious on this one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh i should also mention that when i did my first oil change, it had some of that sealant on the plug, which i thought was weird, so i picked it off, cleaned it up, and did not reapply. Just the crush washer, and well its only been a day, but no leaking so far ! Anyway point being, they're doing it at the factory. Thailand Factory at least.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well its been over 24hrs and the bike has done probably 50miles, and i am seeing a little sweating of oil on the drainbolt.. A minuscule amount, like if i shine an LED flashlight i see it a little wet around the crush washer. So i guess i am going to need to drain, clean up, apply some RTV or whatever it is. I guess finding out what they use is more important to me now. RTV can only be applied to a clean surface. An open drain bolt hole is never going to be 100% dry and clean. There will always be a bit of oil coming out of that hole. So keen to find out what theyre using.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought I'd update the thread. The sealant Ducati use is ThreeBond 1215. Actually Ducati has its own branded Ducati ThreeBond 1215, which is about $20 a tube.

You can just get Permatex #599 UltraGrey for a few bucks from any autoparts store as an equivalent, but if you use that, you should wait 24hrs, before firing up the bike, as the oil pressure is very high. Regardless of which, most Ducati mechanics say its more of a pain to use, and do not bother, and just use a new crush washer everytime, and snug + a little more, and call it good. Admittedly i didn't have a new crush washer handy when i did mine, but i do now !!! So i'm going to just drain the oil, put the new crush washer on, and refill. If i see any sweating, i'll give the #599 a try, but i think (or should i say, i hope) to be fine without it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Instead of using a crush washer try a bonded seal washer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Usually a light coating of Hylomar or dare I show my age and suggest hermetite
Stick with Hylomar its a lot nicer to work with and approved by Rolls Royce.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ran into the same problem recently where I was trading in my scrambler full throttle for a BMW F800R. I took my scrambler to the BMW dealership for the inspection. The tech found the RTV sealant around the oil drain plug and asked me to check why it was applied. They also said they found a very thin oil film on the drain pulg. I called up the ducati dealership where I got my last oil change and they said they didnt apply the sealant.

Not sure if it is a standard practice to put RTV

Now I need to get an oil change to make sure there is no leak

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Thought I'd update the thread. The sealant Ducati use is ThreeBond 1215. Actually Ducati has its own branded Ducati ThreeBond 1215, which is about $20 a tube.

You can just get Permatex #599 UltraGrey for a few bucks from any autoparts store as an equivalent, but if you use that, you should wait 24hrs, before firing up the bike, as the oil pressure is very high. [...]
As far as I know there is no oil pressure in the sump. On any bike.

btw, I noticed sealant on my drain plug too, couldn't figure out why. I peeled it off and just used a new crush washer. It doesn't leak or weep.

To be honest, I thought the mechanic at my dealer used it, but reading back it could have been there from the factory.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
As far as I know there is no oil pressure in the sump. On any bike.

btw, I noticed sealant on my drain plug too, couldn't figure out why. I peeled it off and just used a new crush washer. It doesn't leak or weep.

To be honest, I thought the mechanic at my dealer used it, but reading back it could have been there from the factory.....

Thanks Max Kool. This sealant screwed up my trade in..

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Screwed up your trade in how?

btw, apparently it's in the workshop manual to use TB1215, I've read the same about Monster 797's.... Using Threebond AND a crush washer feels like using a belt AND suspenders to keep your pants up to me....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Screwed up your trade in how?

btw, apparently it's in the workshop manual to use TB1215, I've read the same about Monster 797's.... Using Threebond AND a crush washer feels like using a belt AND suspenders to keep your pants up to me....
The BMW dealership asked to me to get an oil change from a certified dealership to make sure there are no leaks. I cant get any slots atleast for next couple of weeks. I travelled 200 miles one way to get the BMW. I hope the bike I am in trading in for stays that long..

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
WTF, they can't do that themselves if they insisted?

If the last oil change was less than 7500 miles or a year away then it doesn't even need one...

·
Registered
7 Posts
WTF, they can't do that themselves if they insisted?

If the last oil change was less than 7500 miles or a year away then it doesn't even need one...
They asked for an oil change just to make sure there are no leaks. They said they dont have the ducati parts to do it themselves and also that they dont want to do any repairs themselves as they would sell it as is.

·
Registered
954 Posts
They said they dont have the ducati parts to do it themselves and also that they dont want to do any repairs themselves as they would sell it as is.
That is rubbish. It requires a hex head drive to drain the oil and there is no real motorcycle service centre in the world that would not have a hex head drive in the right size. I would simply tell them to do it themselves.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
That is rubbish. It requires a hex head drive to drain the oil and there is no real motorcycle service centre in the world that would not have a hex head drive in the right size. I would simply tell them to do it themselves.
I would simply tell them to ‘Ram it’
Typical uploaded franchise trained twats.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts