Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

New to forum. Just put deposit on Classic model, waiting to hear back from Ducati about next delivery dates. No bikes in showrooms here in Ohio.
Anyway quick question, I am trying to figure out the box that's hanging at the bottom of the scrambler. I saw it on some bikes and some of the pictures posted here on forum doesn't have it.

Here it is on a bike that was delivered to a lucky new owner yesterday while I was in shop to do a test ride. The part in question is in red oval.

For comparison I have another classic posted on this forum by ElToro, beautiful bike by way, she doesn't seem to carry the noted par.

Thanks for any info.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
It's some fangled emissions thing that is required in California apparently.

We don't have them on our bikes in the UK :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply El Toro. Ok that makes sense. May be some kind of emission regulations for states as I am in Ohio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi everyone,

New to forum. Just put deposit on Classic model, waiting to hear back from Ducati about next delivery dates. No bikes in showrooms here in Ohio.
Anyway quick question, I am trying to figure out the box that's hanging at the bottom of the scrambler. I saw it on some bikes and some of the pictures posted here on forum doesn't have it.

Here it is on a bike that was delivered to a lucky new owner yesterday while I was in shop to do a test ride. The part in question is in red oval.

For comparison I have another classic posted on this forum by ElToro, beautiful bike by way, she doesn't seem to carry the noted par.

Thanks for any info.
It´s the fuel cannister required to meet US EPA regulations. US-bound models are equipped with this ugly-looking piece as well as the side reflectors on the forks and license plate carrier. You can remove the cannister, no problem.... I did mine

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MotoRocks, thanks for the detailed info. Will do when I get my bike and I concur it looks ugly.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Out of interest what does the evap can actually do?
Being stuck with one since I live in California I was told by a Ducati Rep that all it really does in recycle the fumes or over fill of the tank itself so that they are not vented into the atmosphere. I have to agree that it is an ugly arrangement but I guess better there then under the fuel tank like on some others.

·
Registered
16 Posts
John that's exactly what it does. this box contains carbon-activated elements which filter evaporation and channels to the air box

·
Registered
619 Posts
If your state doesn't require CA spec Emissions also normally referred to as PZEV cars then you can take it off.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm a Cali native and am waiting to get my plates before taking this fugtastic POS off my bike. :D

Hey, I just had an idea: do California bikes have a different EFI map to compensate for the canister?

·
Registered
114 Posts
likewise.... I removed the evap box in five minutes. No problem and it looks better just have a tube of gasket sealer handy and you can hide all evidence in a few simple steps.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I'm a Cali native and am waiting to get my plates before taking this fugtastic POS off my bike. :D

Hey, I just had an idea: do California bikes have a different EFI map to compensate for the canister?
No, and one is not required, there is no appreciable fueling change whether the canister is in place or not.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine has mysteriously disappeared as well. Absolutely no difference. It's been missing about 1500 miles now. Not a peep from the dealer at the first service.

·
Registered
965 Posts

Just an FYI if you go to sell or trade in the bike later and are still in California it will stop you from being able to do so until its reinstalled.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts