Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a scrambler, but I'm a little undecided on what model to buy. Does the 2017 - 2018 café racers come with cornering abs? or just normal ABS? the black with gold wheels are stunning and its my favourite version, but I don't like the new 2019 changes of silver and blue with multipsoke wheels, its a step back in my opinion.

So, as an alternative I'm looking at the full throttle, but I was wondering what effect on handling does an eighteen inch wheel on the front have compared to two having both 17". Why did Ducati do this?

thanks

becks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Normal ABS only, cornering ABS came on the 2019 models.

IRT, wheel sizes, I believe both steer well. However, the choice in 18” fronts is kinda limited.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Scramblers are not sports bikes and never will be even in Cafe Racer trim so given the design limitations the 18” front wheel is perfectly acceptable. If sports type riding is your thing I would be more concerned about the suspension than the wheel size. There is an increasing number of decent 18” front tyres available both in road style and 90/10 ADV type but the options are definitely not as wide as for 17” fronts.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I agree with the wire opinion as they are heavier and are a pain with a flat, these bikes are spunky when ridden hard but spokes, std exhaust weigh them down. I recon with cast wheels, lithium battery, sports exhaust, lose the rear plate hanger, mudguards and odds an sods you can reduce the overall weight of a classic by 15kg.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Get in any gravel or soft stuff and you will appreciate the 18" front wheel.

Sarah

·
Registered
51 Posts
So I've decided to ditch the Pirelli knobbly for some Michelins, as I only ride on London roads.
I got a road 3 for front and road 4 for rear. Do you think this be ok?
I couldn't find a road 3 rear, maybe Michelin have stopped making them.
I'll also be sealing the spokes with tape, 'Max Kool' guide.
Advice or info' appreciated.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I fitt d Michelin pr3 tyres last year on my FT and can report that the handling is fine, the pr 4 is only an evolution of the pr3 so it should be ok but if in doubt email Michelin as they are always very helpful.

Geoff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts