Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have too few miles on the Scrambler FT as yet to really know how many miles per tank to expect, and I also don't quite know how many miles to expect from when the "low fuel" warning turns to when I actually MUST refill the tank, before running out of fuel.

The tank nominally holds 3.5 gallons, supposedly 3 gallons plus a half gallon reserve. So far, I've had the low fuel warning light come on at 90 miles and at 93 miles, and the most I've been able to get into the tank has been 2.2 gallons from when I stopped after that point. My records show that I am getting 43-44 mpg in mixed city/highway traffic.

So what I'm wondering is, specifications aside, just how much range do I have to work with once the low fuel indication switches on? How far can I go from when the warning comes on to when theres no more fuel for the engine? It's nice that a low fuel odometer comes up when the warning light does, but it doesn't help me prevent getting stranded if I don't know how much fuel I have to work with at that point.

thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
i take my bike into my office 2 - 3 times a week. 130 miles round trip and i always start with a full tank. I push it pretty hard and the gas light comes on 1 1/2 miles from home every time in the exact same spot. I've heard that you can go another 30 miles from when the light comes on but I've never pushed it to see.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have too few miles on the Scrambler FT as yet to really know how many miles per tank to expect, and I also don't quite know how many miles to expect from when the "low fuel" warning turns to when I actually MUST refill the tank, before running out of fuel.

The tank nominally holds 3.5 gallons, supposedly 3 gallons plus a half gallon reserve. So far, I've had the low fuel warning light come on at 90 miles and at 93 miles, and the most I've been able to get into the tank has been 2.2 gallons from when I stopped after that point. My records show that I am getting 43-44 mpg in mixed city/highway traffic.

So what I'm wondering is, specifications aside, just how much range do I have to work with once the low fuel indication switches on? How far can I go from when the warning comes on to when theres no more fuel for the engine? It's nice that a low fuel odometer comes up when the warning light does, but it doesn't help me prevent getting stranded if I don't know how much fuel I have to work with at that point.

thanks!
Same, mine came on at 93-ish miles, but I'm on a Sixty2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
My icon is about 125 miles for fuel light to come on. Had one butt clenching incident looking for fuel in Ireland and had done 38km whilst frantically working out that this was about 25 miles on the fuel light before I found petrol.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Page 26 of owners manual ....
6) FUEL WARNING LIGHT (AMBER YELLOW).
Comes on when fuel is low and there are about 4 litres of fuel left in the tank.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Tank capacity is 13.5 litres ... so you have just under a 1/3 of your tank capacity to go.
So if you get to about 90 miles before light comes on ... you've got 28 or so left.
(Don't blame me if you run out at 25 though! :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So... summing up, the spec says:

- 3.56 gallon (13.5L) total capacity
- 1.05 gallon (4L) left when low fuel light comes on

My records show that, to the present, I'm getting ~41mpg average. The low fuel light comes on at about 93 miles, which seems to be corroborated by most folks experience. Shortly after, again my records, the tank takes 2.1-2.2 gallons to fill. By calculation, this means there should be ~1.36 gallons left in tank.

If we assume that Ducati does not want you to run the tank and EFI fuel pump dry, they're factoring in a 0.3 gallon (1.1L) "stay wet" factor when the light comes on to avoid fuel pickup problems, etc.

With this information, I can depend upon another ~40 miles of range (at average usage) once the low fuel light is on, netting a total range of plus or minus 133 miles before running completely dry. After that, the tank can go dry at any moment.

That's the information I was looking for. It's important when I'm planning trips to know what the effective maximum range between gas stops is, and it's important when the 'low fuel' warning light comes on to know about how far I can go with the low fuel odometer running. Now I can think about where I want to take the beastie. (Although I do wish it had another gallon capacity in the tank; 150-170 miles per tank is easier to plan routes around when you're in the western USA... Perhaps someone will come out with a larger, "touring" tank for the Scrambler, eventually.)

:D

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
FYI.
American gallon = 1.2 UK gallon. Which is equal to as near as dam it 4.55 Litres.
Just sayin, as being Italian the owners manual may not recognise this and I remember confusion with Diavel owners, coupled with the fact on the Diavel for California they had to recess the tank to accommodate the evap can which made for some interesting differences between tank ranges.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FYI.
American gallon = 1.2 UK gallon. Which is equal to as near as dam it 4.55 Litres.
Just sayin, as being Italian the owners manual may not recognise this.
You have it backwards: 1 Imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallons. I was translating from Liters to US gallons, however.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
You have it backwards: 1 Imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallons. I was translating from Liters to US gallons, however.
Typo. I didn't proof read it, correct.
I wasn't saying you were wrong, just that everyone needs to be aware that there are differences between countries when comparing things like tank ranges etc.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's all differences in the units of measure, not in the capacity or range itself, of course. Ducati fits the same equipment and the engines all run at about the same economy. :)

I'm pretty good at US gallon, Imp gallon, Liter per mile or km conversions in my head. It's the Euro-common km per liter measure that I have to take a few minutes to work out.

Fun stuff. :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm not sure how you're getting less than 100 miles until the light comes on as I get exactly 128 every time (to and from work)and that's traveling at 80 - 95 mph. I've measured the miles with my Scrambler, Toyota Tundra and Google maps.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Mine usually comes on between 95 and 110 miles. Depending on how I've been riding. I usually see the best on longer journey's, even if riding more spirited. So I guess the engine is very inefficient when cold.

I used to be able to get to 120 before hitting reserve but my remap resulted in slightly less economy. (Happy trade off)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hijacking a little bit. This is the one thing that I really dislike about the Scrambler. The harsh suspension, hard seat, tiny foot pegs are relatively minor to me (although I've corrected them) compared to not having a damn fuel gauge. I know that have about a gallon (US) when the light goes on. How far I can go on that depends on how/where I'm riding. I haven't run out of gas yet, but I've been pretty close a couple of time when I finally was able to fill up. With a gauge, at least I know just how much fuel is in the tank and not how far I've gone.

With my rant out of the way, my light comes on about at about 100 miles also. I haven't really bothered to work out MPG, as that's not why I have the bike. Grins per gallon, now that's another story.

·
Registered
114 Posts
13000 miles. Light comes on around 125. At that point it takes a little over 2 US gallons to fill. I average between 55-58 mpg

·
Registered
764 Posts
Typo. I didn't proof read it, correct.
I wasn't saying you were wrong, just that everyone needs to be aware that there are differences between countries when comparing things like tank ranges etc.
The measurements might be different Hui and US mpgs are less than UK mpgs but the miles you get out of a tank won't change ;)
FYI the light on mine comes on around 125 - 130 miles and it averages 55 mpg (UK) which is 44 mpg (US). I know for a fact that it will do 150 miles before refilling and still have a couple of litres left.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The measurements might be different Hui and US mpgs are less than UK mpgs but the miles you get out of a tank won't change ;)
FYI the light on mine comes on around 125 - 130 miles and it averages 55 mpg (UK) which is 44 mpg (US). I know for a fact that it will do 150 miles before refilling and still have a couple of litres left.
Aye aye, I know.
I was only sharing the fact that the quantity could be different, when I referenced 'range' I was touching on the conversations between EU and USA Diavel owners as the tank capacity is different due to the evap canister located on the side of the tank. Which does affect the ranges.
Once upon a time our miles were different to theirs too.

PS.
I know this is not a Diavel forum but just making cross over conversation.
A Sixty2 will have a different range and capacity to consider.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hijacking a little bit. This is the one thing that I really dislike about the Scrambler. The harsh suspension, hard seat, tiny foot pegs are relatively minor to me (although I've corrected them) compared to not having a damn fuel gauge. I know that have about a gallon (US) when the light goes on. How far I can go on that depends on how/where I'm riding. I haven't run out of gas yet, but I've been pretty close a couple of time when I finally was able to fill up. With a gauge, at least I know just how much fuel is in the tank and not how far I've gone.
With my rant out of the way, my light comes on about at about 100 miles also. I haven't really bothered to work out MPG, as that's not why I have the bike. Grins per gallon, now that's another story.
I've had bikes with fuel guages and they weren't much more helpful. I've never ridden one that was particularly accurate and the 'reserve' light nearly always are set to come on without about 1/4 of a tank left...
Coming from a bike with a gauge, I expected the Scrambler would annoy me in that respect but once I learned that I get 100 miles per tank + 20 on reserve, I've never had an issue. If I'm riding in built up areas I just go until the light comes on, on trips away I just fill up every 100 miles or whenever the group has to stop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I pretty much do the same thing. Some of the folks I ride with ride BMW GS bikes with huge tanks. There is not always fuel available every hundred miles or so. I have taken to carrying a siphon tube with me in case I need to borrow some gas from one of them. Much lighter than taking extra fuel. I haven't needed it yet.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts