Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I wanted to upgrade the H4 OEM head light bulb to a Philips Racing Vision. So I am perplexed on how a H4 bulb can be different. A picture is worth a thousand words. The base of the Philips bulb is a bit taller as compared to the OEM. The glass part of the bulbs are the near the same length. On the left is the OEM bulb and the Philips Racing Vision is on the right.

End result the access cover of the head light will not fit flush.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The base of nearly any H4 is longer than the ones fitted to the Scrambler is my experience so far. I found finding a replacement very hard.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Still confusing. When you google you find H4 are primarily used in motorcycles and sportscars in EU, and 9003 in cars in the US. That’s just not true, many, many cars in Europe had H4 bulbs before LED and projection became popular, and still doesn’t explain the shorter base.

Serious, if they weren't meant to be interchangeable, one would have a notch or dent the other does not, or vice versa. That's basic engineering...

·
Registered
954 Posts
H4 is the fitting and the pin connection it is not the overall dimensions of the bulb. Both bulbs in the picture above are H4. If Ducati chose to use a particular bulb the fits within their headlight housing meaning that other brands won’t fit that is a Ducati issue not a bulb issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts