Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to help the wife (if she needs me) replace the clutch on her '15 Urban Enduro.

The Ducati workshop manual recommends Three Bond 1215 sealing compound (aka silicone gasket maker or RTV). I am having trouble getting my hands on it quickly.

Any suggestions for a good substitute with similar properties?

It has a little under 10k miles on it but I hope we do better with the new clutch with more attentive adjustments. We are going with the Barnett Clutch Kit #306-25-20015 and plan to re-use the original springs.

Thanks for all of the help this forum has provided.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
Since Ducati didn't put a clutch cover and you have to remove/replace the whole side engine cover I would prefer not to have to re-do the job because the cheap blue stuff from the auto parts store didn't hold up.

Quality RTV sealers have a variety of property ranges as far as cured hardness and temperature ranges etc.

There are two different RTV products listed in this workshop manual alone not to mention the other 8 or more sealers and adhesives for other parts of the bike.

Since many of the peeps on this forum seem to do a lot of research and have some level of OCD I was just hoping for a more specific answer.

I do appreciate the response though.

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any Ducati workshops nearby or that you can phone?
Yes, GOAZ in Scottsdale, AZ seems like a legit and fairly priced dealership. I picked up a tube of ThreeBond TB1215 for $26.24 plus tax.

I also found a couple of recent sources that say Permatex Ultra Grey #82194 has very similar properties to the TB1215. It is available on Amazon and is quite a bit cheaper.

GoAz had about 5 Scramblers in the showroom that I checked the freeplay on. Now we just need the new clutch kit to come in and we can get started.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Page 75 of the "DUCATI 2015 ducati scrambler 800-new.pdf" I have saved on my computer says the freeplay should be between 2 and 3 mm.
I could also feel this when I twisted the clutch pivot on the engine side cover. It isn't much but is enough to know the clutch isn't partially engaged.
I suspect that is why the current clutch failed with less than 10k miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not intentionally but at least part of it's life for sure.

If you have seen any of the threads about numerous clutch failures Ducati eventually replaced under warranty you will read about two different possible causes. There are some reports of incorrect assembly from the factory. There are also many reports of the clutch being adjusted too tightly after dealership maintenance.

As far as the incorrect assembly I am not sure what they mean. I suspect it is either the wrong thickness of steel plates in the stack or possibly the stack was made in the wrong order.

I have only worked on Jap bikes before now but the steel plates were always the same thickness so the order didn't matter as long as you alternated steel/friction/steel...

The scrambler has 6 at 2mm, 3 at 2.5mm and one convex plate at 1.5. There is a detailed drawing showing the correct order to install.

As far as the adjustment, all I can say is it has a different feel to other bikes I have worked on and I have read others saying the same thing. The fact that this is my wife's bike and only the second she has owned means I wasn't aware that it had been slipping. She knows far more about clutches now so she will be far better prepared from now on. She is also going to replace the clutch discs herself if the new ones ever ship.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
All I know is the free play feels considerably different on a hot engine v a cold engine. On a hot engine the amount of free play is very noticeable and measurable whereas on a cold engine you sort of have to guess.

(not to mention the grabbyness of the clutch on a cold engine)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had not really considered hot vs cold but the Ducati manual specifies both checking and adjusting it while cold. They even lead the statement with the bold warning symbol.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Good luck AZ, and let us know how it goes, please. I replaced the clutch plates on a Sportster once, a bit of a job but straightforward; hope so for this one, too.

Sarah

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm a bit late on chiming in, but, for future reference, an absolute game changer for sealing/gasket making compounds is Permatex, The Right Stuff 1 minute Gasket. It's what the rest of the products should have been in the past.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good luck AZ, and let us know how it goes, please. I replaced the clutch plates on a Sportster once, a bit of a job but straightforward; hope so for this one, too.

Sarah
Hi Sarah. Nadia replaced the clutch with a Barnett Clutch Kit # 306-25-20015 and it was very straightforward.

The steel plates in the Ducati Kit come in 3 different thicknesses and the manual states the location they should be placed in the stack.

Barnett didn't do that so it made the job nice and simple.

I will say that some of the clutch friction plates while worn didn't look too bad while two of them had been scrubbing aluminum to steel. I don't have an explanation for that but the new parts seem very high quality and it adjusted easily so we hope it lasts longer than the first.

Cheers,

Robin

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hi Sarah. Nadia replaced the clutch with a Barnett Clutch Kit # 306-25-20015 and it was very straightforward.

The steel plates in the Ducati Kit come in 3 different thicknesses and the manual states the location they should be placed in the stack.

Barnett didn't do that so it made the job nice and simple.

I will say that some of the clutch friction plates while worn didn't look too bad while two of them had been scrubbing aluminum to steel. I don't have an explanation for that but the new parts seem very high quality and it adjusted easily so we hope it lasts longer than the first.

Cheers,

Robin
If you're still around Robin – I'm about to fit a Barnett on mine and I was a bit put off by the different thicknesses of plates but I take it this isn't an issue at all with the Barnett clutch plates all being the same thickness from what you say?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You are correct. The overall thickness of the entire stack is the important thing in their design so as long as you alternate between the friction plates and steel plates correctly it is fine.

That was the answer I got when I called Barnett. The tech rep I spoke to seemed surprised I had even measured and noticed the minor differences in plate thickness.

I have been quite happy with the new clutch but I think the design is flawed from the factory. The part numbers from Ducati change after only two years so they seem to agree.

I am extra careful to keep an eye on the adjustment and when I gets harder to release an oil and filter change usually help. I have never had another bike with a wet clutch that I even had to think about.

Good luck and enjoy the bike. I love it other than this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts