Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is a 2017 Full Throttle. The bars are 33" grip to grip, which is too wide for my preferences. The height is close on to where I want it, maybe just a little lower and more forward, with just a little drop, would be nice. I'd like something that's 28-29 inches wide. There was a Monster at the dealership when I bought the FT and I really liked the bend in those bars, but of course they are not the taper type.

I've been looking at the Rizoma handlebars and I'm just confused as to what's what. I see models. MA006H, MA008, and MA009B offered, all for the Ducati Scrambler in the correct tapered type. But I can't find a listing that tells me a) how these different models compare, and b) how they compare to the stock FT bars.

Can anyone point me to some detailed information or have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After hunting and hunting and hunting, I finally found a chart for the FT-compatible Rizoma handlebars that has useful information:

I also found that the MA011B and MA009B models were available via Amazon.com. Since nobody has these darn things in stock anywhere that I know of to line up on the bike against the stock bars to see which will do me best, I ordered both of those so that I can select which works for me best and send the other back.

Now given Murphy's Law, it's likely the MA006B that is the one I need. :confused5: So I figure if neither of the ones I ordered actually does the job right, and the MA006B is the right choice, I found another vendor that has that one and I can send these back and order that one.

Finding the right bits these days is so much more work than it was when real accessory shops were around that carried a selection of the bits that I might want so I could choose things with the physical object and the bike in proximity. Ach, the modern world.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ramarren, I have also been searching for the ideal Scrambler handlebar. The main issue with bars on this bike is you need atleast 210mm control length for everything to fit.
Anything less and the throttle tube and clutch side grip extend past the end of the bar. This makes it very difficult to use any style of bar end without modifying the bar or using some type of spacer. I found the Rizoma bars also and did not order them because they don't list the control length. I ended up going with a set of Pro Taper bars and they will arrive Thursday. Please let us know if the MA009B works out. Cheers!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for commenting!

I agree. It's the one critical piece of information that's missing from the chart above: control mounting length. My estimation using the pictures of the bars and the existing dimensioning values is that they have about 215mm on the control mounting length, which would be just enough without a lot of leeway. But that's only an estimate. I'll know for sure in two days what this final dimension is for both MA009B and MA011B.

On the other hand, I know that I can get a set of bar end-cap weights from a Moto Guzzi LeMans 1000 that will extend the bar by about 22mm if needed (and likely reduce any residual engine/drive system tingles as well). As well as others ... So I'm not too worried about it. :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A surprise: I'd hunted around all of the local motorcycle shops and not found any stock in Rizoma bars ... They carry them, but they're all special order. However, one of the dealers listed on the Rizoma website is the bicycle dealer where I bought my ebike. I had some other business there today, so while at it I asked, "You're listed as a Rizoma dealer, I don't suppose you have any MA006 bars in stock?"
"Why sure, sir, yes we do."
"You're kidding me. Really?"
And he handed me the box. A bicycle dealer. Wonders never cease.

I bought it; it was actually a little less expensive than the others bought through Amazon.com.

My estimate of the control length was close: I was off by 20mm on the right side of being off. The actual straight control length measures 235mm on the MA006B; I can't imagine that they'd make the others radically different from that. That's great! Room for the controls, the grips, and for my bar end mirrors too. Woo hoo! Now I'll have all three to select from when the others arrive tomorrow; the two that I don't use will go back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well with three to pick from I'm sure there will be one that's "just right". I received my pro taper bars today and they look like exactly what I was looking for. I'll get them fitted tomorrow.
A bicycle shop, whodathunkit!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fitted 2008 bmw 1200 gs h/bars 25mm more pull back than std desert sled bars and better position.
They look good!

They're 7/8" bars, not tapered bars like the FT model uses. I'd have to change the risers and the gauge mount, etc. Not impossible, of course!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got the pro taper husqvarna bend bars mounted today. Control area length was spot on along with everything else. Still need to tidy up my cables. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the midst of all the stuff I'm doing to the bike, all three Rizoma bars arrived and I finally had the chance to experiment with them on the bike yesterday. The MA009B seem too close to the stock FT bars to be worth doing the change to, for me. The MA011B are a bit too low, forward, and a flatter bend than I want. The MA006B seem just right.

So the MA009 and MA011 are boxed up and will ship back tomorrow. Likely today I'll fit the MA006 ... it's actually easier to swap the bars than I thought it would be.

I guess my familiarity and comfort in working on the Scrambler has jumped up quite a lot since I was first looking at bars because of all the fussing around with it I've done to fit the fender, tail tidy, etc. I know where most of the bits I need to work with are now and am confident of being able to get it back together after I rip into something new. That's the kind of feeling that always comes for me through getting past my original reluctance to break something and getting my hands on things.

This bike is now becoming mine... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts