Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just going back to work after a 5 month layoff and am now able to do a suspension upgrade, but can't afford both in one shot. I'd like to know from people who have done it, which one would they recommend doing 1st, front or rear.

I'm also curious if anyone has done the Ohlins FSK100 front spring set. Is it enough to make a difference. This bike handles well but suspension is pretty bone jarring.

·
Registered
157 Posts
rear first, no question. Most immediate change and by itself removes over 80% of the issues. Front is less important unless you plan to hit dirt or track it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

First front, but just removing oïl for 2 cm high. This will improve dramatically the hardness on small bumps and it's costless as you can do it yourself. Then, you can change at the same time the rear shock for a better one.

Then later, change the dumping cartridge in the right leg, for a Maxton GP20 cartridge.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not exactly sure what your saying 2 cm high. How much to remove? Do you think the stock springs will work with the Maxton GP20 Cartridge?
Thanks

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello
not exactly sure what your saying 2 cm high. How much to remove? Do you think the stock springs will work with the Maxton GP20 Cartridge?
Thanks
Removing 2 cm high means that the level of oïl in the leg must be 2 cm lower than before. I don't know how much oil you need to remove to achieve this. In fact, you get a syringe, add a thin tube on it, drop the tube in the leg until it just reaches the oil surface. Then, you apply a sticker 2 cm upper than the leg top. Then, you align the sticker and the leg top and aspirate oil. When the syringe can not aspirate anymore oil, it means that the oil level is 2 cm lower than before.

The Maxton GP20 cartridge comes with its own spring, designed for your weight and driving habits. The left leg keeps the OEM spring and it works perfectly well. I did the mod in my Classic fork and it was really efficient.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi chesterburnet, I have replaced the stock rear unit for an M-Shock unit, which is very good and shows up the front end. I went for the rear unit replacement first as the jarring through the seat, for me, was intense and a little destabilising. Now the ride is much better and I intend to sort out the front end shortly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For those of you who have replaced the rear shock, did you choose a coil spring with a rate specific to your weight?
Or have you ordered an off-the-shelf aftermarket shock that just came with an unspecified universal spring?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
You typically share your weight and riding style and they pick one of three or four options off the shelf springs for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For those of you who have replaced the rear shock, did you choose a coil spring with a rate specific to your weight?
Or have you ordered an off-the-shelf aftermarket shock that just came with an unspecified universal spring?

With the M-Shock I bought, the guys at the factory asked about my weight, pillion use and riding style.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm just going back to work after a 5 month layoff and am now able to do a suspension upgrade, but can't afford both in one shot. I'd like to know from people who have done it, which one would they recommend doing 1st, front or rear.

I'm also curious if anyone has done the Ohlins FSK100 front spring set. Is it enough to make a difference. This bike handles well but suspension is pretty bone jarring.
The seat problems and the jarred spine is coming from the rear shock; which doesnt handle hi speed bumps because the standard shock seems to have a spring with a hi spring factor which has sagged enough of its travel with a heavy rider so the shock is basically solid?? worst shock I can ever remember on any bike. I have gone all the way with , rebuildable SB suspension shock fully remotely adjustable for compression hi-lo, rebound, and preload

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts

There's the purchase cost and the installation cost, unless you do the whole job yourself. What I'll do is first buy the components—rear suspension unit with the features I want and spring rate tailored to me, same for front suspension cartridges. Once I have them, I can then wait for when I can afford to have the fork work done, since I don't have sufficient space and facilities to do fork dismantling, and I'll install the rear suspension unit myself just before I drop the bike off with the mechanic.

I'm not sure yet on the front cartridges. I see two types by Öhlins, another set by Andreae (sp?). Any other options?

For the rear, I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Nitron 2 model suspension unit, with the hydraulic preload adjuster. The Öhlins rear unit seems a bit overpriced for my needs and riding style.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Probably unnecessary. I don't carry passengers often and it is pretty easy to get to on the Scrambler. But it is also convenient to up the preload if you're loading up for a trip and to drop it once you get somewhere and want to do a sporty day ride. It's a question mark ... this stuff is a ways out there. :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts