Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came to fit my rear ally guard and could I remove 2 of the bolts. Why do makers use bolts made of cheese. I have good quality tools but all they do is spin in the torx bolts. It is a struggle and struggle some more to remove and replace the bolts. Simon did you have the same struggle with the 2 lower bolts?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I assume you are talking the oil cooler guard?

The two bolts that mount into the side of the lower oil cooler mounts....

With these two - no - but MANY others - YES..

I have both Beta and Facom T and normal Allen Keys - if there is any doubt (always with Ducati) about the fastners - I use the Facom T - because from experience - the Beta will round them.

The difference is the Beta has a slight radius at the end of the key - the facom is sharper.

I fit the facom key then tap the end of the T wrench with a small hammer (not a mallet) to give a sharp blow to ensure key is fully engaged and bites (with sharp end) into fastener and possibly shocking slightly the bolt to allow it to undo.

Failing to follow this means that they will round - because as you say they are made of cheese and the Pan Heads have 1 size smaller hex key size than a normal bolt and also a shallower socket...

When they are rounded there is 2 options.

For accessible bolts - Use dot punch or small chisel to tap the bolt around to get if free - then change the bolts.

For non accessible - hammer in to the old allen shape that is now rounded a TORX shape key - again I use a FACOM T for this...- then change the bolts.

I keep lots of bolts in Stainless / Cap / Pan / Nuts / Washers in garage and have a good local guy for the odd longer ones or specials... but most times they are closed when you need them... so thats why the big stock in the garage. I also have a huge stock of non stainless that I fit if I don't have stainless and then swap them when i get the chance.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. Sorry the 2 bolts I didn’t describe properly were the ones at the bottom end of the rear guard into the alloy side panels.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The rear MUD Guard.... OH yes - I had one of those round even with the above method.... I think Ducati used too much loctite....

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Managed it eventually. I found a drill bit just the correct size to take a larger torx bit hammered in, easy peasy.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Today I also found that you have to be carefull not to damage the bolt heads when I tried to loosen the two bolts that holt the oil cooler. Luckely after a few taps with the hammer and some heating they finally budged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts