Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Will the Scrambler be a Dual Purpose Motorcycle?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes and no. If by "dual sport" you mean riding it to your favorite riding area and then clambering over rock ledges, crossing muddy creeks, hammering up long sand washes then no. On the other hand if you want to ride country dirt and gravel roads as well as the highway then yes. There is a lot you could ride in that case with the UE. If you want to do both of these things then perhaps a dirt capable dual sport would be better such as the KTM twins. I'd rather have the UE and just keep my KTM dirt bikes for the nasty stuff. A two bike solution might work for you as well if you want both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's what I would consider a "Dirt Road" bike. Gravel roads, forest service roads, urban jungles (21st Street in Astoria. :lol3). Off road, ie single track, trials/MX style? Not so much.

Happy Trails

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'll be riding mine in a lot of old logging roads. Nothing too sketchy with plenty of room to turn around.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is an active thread on ADVRider on just this topic. If the Scrambler had a 19" front tire, a high fender keeping debris from hitting the engine and a good skid plate to protect the pipe, oil filter, lines under the bike, you could use it on all sorts of fire roads. It is lighter than the BMW 650 (twin or single) and those bikes are taken everywhere.

·
Registered
619 Posts
There is an active thread on ADVRider on just this topic. If the Scrambler had a 19" front tire, a high fender keeping debris from hitting the engine and a good skid plate to protect the pipe, oil filter, lines under the bike, you could use it on all sorts of fire roads. It is lighter than the BMW 650 (twin or single) and those bikes are taken everywhere.
just what i wanted to hear

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm curious as to the total ground clearance it has. I'm sure some companies will come along with forks and shocks to increase height, adjustments, and travel further down the road.
I will be attending the Long Beach show this weekend; I'll bring my tape along to take some measurements Saturday.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm curious as to the total ground clearance it has. I'm sure some companies will come along with forks and shocks to increase height, adjustments, and travel further down the road.
I will be attending the Long Beach show this weekend; I'll bring my tape along to take some measurements Saturday.
Don't forget your camera.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If I can ride my Triumph Scrambler on trails with KTM's, BMW's, Honda's and Husky's, then a 100 lb. lighter, higher horsepower, longer suspension travel Ducati will certainly do the job and come under the heading of dual sport.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If I can ride my Triumph Scrambler on trails with KTM's, BMW's, Honda's and Husky's, then a 100 lb. lighter, higher horsepower, longer suspension travel Ducati will certainly do the job and come under the heading of dual sport.
:nod

I have a buddy out in Las Vegas that desert raced back in the day. He regularly rides his Triumph on rides with KtMs, BMW GSs and stuff. And keeps up. Pisses 'em right the fuck off. :lol3

Back when he started racing, a "dirt bike" was basically a scrambled road bike anyway. As a matter of fact, I bought my '69 Scrambler from him.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts