Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the realities of riding in the San Francisco Bay area is wind. Every afternoon around 2 PM, the sea breeze arrives like clockwork, blowing 20 MPH out of the north. If you're riding home in the carpool lane, keeping pace with Teslas, Priuses, and Honda Odysseys nipping along at 80 MPH, that's 80+20 = 100, which is quite the stiff breeze.

It also gets old real fast -- in about 2 miles for me -- without some kind of wind protection. Naked bikes are all well and good, but IMHO, the whole bike riding experience gets somewhat compromised if you get blown off your seat. And so the Great Wind Protection Adventure has begun. I've already established that the Givi 7407A screen won't quite do the job for someone my height (6'1", 34" inseam). Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of...

Wind...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I prefer to have my torso out of the wind, but my helmet in a fresh breeze. No buffeting like you have with a high screen, but still decent protection.

VKL_6437.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my ultimate plan, but members of my tribe can be over-achievers, and I keep thinking it would be neat if I could devise a venturi setup like the Madstadt system I have on my Tiger, that would keep the blast off my chest, deflect some of it over my helmet, but also smooth out the turbulence and leave my helmet in smooth air. Those fellows also have systems for the baby and teen-aged Dukes, so have come up with designs that work for small and mid-sized naked bikes without looking too dorky, but when I asked if they had any plans for the Scrambler, their answer was a resounding, "Maybe someday."

Phase 2, the MRA Varioscreen, doesn't quite do the job, so I plan to pull it off, save it for my wife's next bike, put on a flyscreen, then see if I can modify the Givi to work as the other half of a venturi. I will most certainly fail, but a man can dream... :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I recently fitted a Dart Classic screen to my DS.
I wanted it for the relief on long rides and wasn't a fan of the look immediately but after one ride the aesthetic has grown on me too and I don't plan to take it off even for short trips.

Chest still takes it above 70mph but slightly leaning forward (not full tuck required) sees the wind deflecting smoothly to and over the helmet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For someone my height, the MRA Varioscreen 'almost works'. It deals with riding 80MPH into a 20 MPH headwind, but leaves my helmet in the turbulence zone, which will make a fair bit of money for the earplug manufacturers.

I may try to mock up a copy of the Madstad system using a Dart flyscreen mount and my Givi screen to see how that works out. This is one of the perils of being a physicist -- that urge to defy the gods by fiddling with the laws of nature. After that fails, I'll probably just man up and just go with the flyscreen, as I should have done in the first place. My wife's already called dibs on the MRA unit for her bike :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts