Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Icon, but only really been doing 1hr or so journeys on country and side roads, but I want to go further afoot (Scotland & Europe) and just wonder what you guys and gals on the forum think, with regards to having a screen or not, to help with motorway riding?

If anyone has one can you let me know what it is and where you got it

Apologies if already been asked elsewhere on forum.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Totally depends on your preferred cruising speed imho.

If you stay below 110-120km/h you can do without a screen, if the speeds are higher you most likely will want one.

I personally prefer to have my helmet in the full clean blast, much better than fighting the buffeting turbulent air, and just have a little screen keeping some wind off my chest.

Good luck, it's very personal!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Don't do it. They look shyte, cause noise, direct air to under the chin making your eyes water. I've toured on nakeds down to Gibralter, Rome and everywhere in-between from the top of Scotland and never wanted or needed a screen.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dart screen and FT handlebars did the trick for me. Stock Icon made me sit too upright, combined with the wide handlebars it turned me into a sail at 100+ km/h.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't do it. They look shyte, cause noise, direct air to under the chin making your eyes water. I've toured on nakeds down to Gibralter, Rome and everywhere in-between from the top of Scotland and never wanted or needed a screen.
Sounds good advice to me, I will have a go on a medium ride and see what happens.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Dart screen on my Icon is great. Also keeps dead flies off my chest and satnav etc. Dont care about looks if it allows me to cruise at higher speeds more confortably

Tony

·
Registered
18 Posts
It will be the first thing I buy for my desert sled. Now only have to find one that is more or less acceptable look-wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wanted to reduce turbulence on the highway so I decided to try the Givi 7407A which is larger than the dart screens. I'm kind of neutral as far as the look but it does calm
Givi.jpg
things down at higher speeds. The quality is good but the installation instructions really suck. I had to Google and find pictures to figure out the unexplained parts. The one surprise has been that the temps haven't gotten above low 50's and it's already got a lot of bugs stuck to it.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
U turn how? :D

I have a fresh breeze of air around my helmet and neck, and just my chest is out of the wind. It's really not much higher than the speedo (that picture may suggest the windshield was high-ish).

IMG_2917.PNG

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
For the mirrors I changed the left and right stalk mounts, and used Bike Master mini mirrors. I used the left threaded on the right, and vice versa.

The phone mount is actually a cradle for a Garmin 276Cx .

·
Registered
25 Posts
The quality is good but the installation instructions really suck. I had to Google and find pictures to figure out the unexplained parts. .
I was wondering about the mounting system. From your picture, it looks as though the wind screen mounts to the top tripleclamp. Is that the only mounting point? If so, how does that one point (both sides) keep the screen from being pushed backwards at the top due to wind load?
I like the non-handlebar mounting idea, but am concerned about the screen rotating about the tripleclamp bolt-on point. Is the mounting system rigid enough at hiway speeds?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The World Walk screen helped a bunch, but I am very happy with the MRA Touring screen.
DSCN4262.JPG

At just over $100 delivered, it's a bargain in my opinion.

Sarah

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was wondering about the mounting system. From your picture, it looks as though the wind screen mounts to the top tripleclamp. Is that the only mounting point? If so, how does that one point (both sides) keep the screen from being pushed backwards at the top due to wind load?
I like the non-handlebar mounting idea, but am concerned about the screen rotating about the tripleclamp bolt-on point. Is the mounting system rigid enough at hiway speeds?
It does mount to the triple clamp. After a month of use it's rock solid. I was not thrilled when I discovered that it mounts to the triple clamp as it doesn't look like it should be stable but I'm very satisfied now. It's a quality piece. I also use a dab of locktite on virtually every screw I install which never hurts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It does mount to the triple clamp. After a month of use it's rock solid. I was not thrilled when I discovered that it mounts to the triple clamp as it doesn't look like it should be stable but I'm very satisfied now. It's a quality piece. I also use a dab of locktite on virtually every screw I install which never hurts.
Thanks, chesterburnet!. I may look into getting one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts