Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Looked at the latest Sled at a bike show. I liked the look of it. Looking at, against owning can be different though.

To clarify i'll note thoughts on some bikes I have had in recent times.

Bmw R1100GS. Great bike, engine smooth (but not sporty when revved). Went off road well but not ideal for lone riding. Sold at 50k miles.

Bmw moto x 650. Great fun, engine smooth low down. Just ran out of steam a bit too soon. Small tank a pain. Wrong tires and wheels but still no stress on easy off road trails.

Aprilia Dursadoru 750. Looked great, awful suspension and felt heavier than figures suggested. Soon changed.

Ktm smcr 690. Great fun, travelled fine with a small screen. Engine great when revved. Only dislike was wouldn't chug happily in town or when just chilling on a back road. Limited tire choice if wanted more grip on dirt.

Bmw R1200GS adventure. Just does everything so well. Long distance, twisties, camping, slow speed chugging. Only downside is heavy if have to turn around in a dead end while exploring. A bit heavy to risk too much off road if alone.

I have had few enduro bikes also but service intervals are pain.

Tried the various options above looking for the perfect do it all bike. Fun on road, capable of exploring when the tarmac ends, able to do a few weeks touring.

Reluctant to change the GS as its just faultless except its weight at standstill. Gets used for trips abroad or camping but not for exploring small roads/tracks which I miss. The mix of grunt and natural engine braking make them very swift on mountain roads.

So, what might I think of a Sled in comparison. Its cold here now and some distance to test ride one unless serious.

Id be giving up a lot in power/practically and capability from the GS.

How many miles will a Sled do to a tank full when touring?
Is the fuelling smooth a low speed?

Thanks Rob

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi...I am sure this will be the most negative reply you get but then, hey, you have to have something to balance against all the glowing reports you will get.
First the good, it looks fabulous and is great fun. Now all the other stuff. I have had quality issues, everything from a crap clutch to spanners made out of cheese to indicators filling up with rain. Only 2000km so far but I have yet to sort out the off road suspension yet..I know others have but so far way too hard. Engine not as quick as I would have expected...only really happy above 4k and it redlines just over 8. It surges at constant throttle at 4k which is a real pain. The bash plate is a joke and there is not really an aftermarket one available which is up to the job. I perhaps should have bought the Tenere 700. Oh, and Ducati is shite to deal with over any warranty issue. In fact their so called customer service is just shite. But it does look good!

·
Registered
748 Posts
The Desert Sled is about as far away from a GSA as you can get and based on the original post I suspect would be a short term proposition for the OP..
I’d look at a more middle range ADV bike something like a Triumph Tiger 800 or BMW 850 or Yamaha Tenere or even a Suzuki V-Strom as being more suitable for the OPs requirements.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The BMW 850, while a capable bike i found characterless having had one for a day test.

I see no benefit in middleweight ADV bikes. Not as capable a mule or distance bike as a GSA, still too big for off road fun.

I rode a 250 two stroke from the middle of the UK to the bottom of Portugal and back. I don't think a bike has to be big, it has to be good to ride. Everything else is a trade between advantages.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Rob,

I wouldn't swap out your GS for the Deset Sled as your sole motorbike, especially if you do long rides. The great thing about the DS is that it is a rather simple bike in terms of technology; able to handle some off road bits, and looks damn cool! I would assess what is most important to you as your only motorcycle and see if the DS fits the bill. Good luck.

fyi I have never had a problem with Ducati warranty. Then again my dealer is pretty awesome.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

Any more views on how the motor runs.

Smooth / surging / snatchy at any revs?

Cruising tank range

Service issues

Thanks Rob

·
Registered
337 Posts
Most V twins aren´t very smooth/stable until you get over 3500/4000 rpm, then they are lovely. Cruising range is 120 miles to reserve and then about 35/40 miles left.
desmo service can be expensive and unless you are quite experienced, a dealer only option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had one of the carb KTM 950 SMRs which was super smooth right through. The enduro versions are nice but rare.

Sounds like I'll have to test a Ducati scrambler of any sort to decide if the engine is for me.

Thanks Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I just bought a sled in September and have put about 1000 miles in it. It has the Arrow exhaust with Silencer and a full tune on a dyno and it took care of all the lean surging you can get. I currently also have two KLR’s and a DR 250. The group I ride with has BMW’s from a 310 to a 1200 GS. Africa Twin, the occasional versys. Dr650, wr250. All kinds of bikes. I’ve not het done a major camping trip on the sled, but I will. I have a small touratech wind screen and a sargeant seat and both are necessary for any length of trip in my opinion. Now, the number one downfall to this bike is lack of really good luggage options. Holan in Poland has a nice looking setup. The other issue is tank size. I’m getting around 120 miles until the fuel light comes on. The other day at 156 miles I put 3.1 gallons in it. It holds 3.6. So I had a few more miles. I bought a rotapax for really remote rides. The bike just moves me. I love it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm im love with the DS it has some downsides but totally worth it when yoi can follow a moto cross only trail without big complication or you can go on long trips with the 2019 seat because the previous one it's terrible. Also go into the track and be really competing with the cbrs and panigales. The luggage solution it can be painful. But after looking all over the internet I found a great solution and very cheap also. The gas tank it's ridicule you have to carry a desert fox tank gas or rotopax. But also gives you great comfort when you cruise around town you remove everything and have a nice time with a low weight bike same with high complication trails. When you go camping or long road trips you put bags, gas tanks everything and have a mule as a bike.

Or you can make some mods like this one:
it not even look like a DS but it's awsome.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 8 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello all.

Looked at the latest Sled at a bike show. I liked the look of it. Looking at, against owning can be different though.

To clarify i'll note thoughts on some bikes I have had in recent times.

Bmw R1100GS. Great bike, engine smooth (but not sporty when revved). Went off road well but not ideal for lone riding. Sold at 50k miles.

Bmw moto x 650. Great fun, engine smooth low down. Just ran out of steam a bit too soon. Small tank a pain. Wrong tires and wheels but still no stress on easy off road trails.

Aprilia Dursadoru 750. Looked great, awful suspension and felt heavier than figures suggested. Soon changed.

Ktm smcr 690. Great fun, travelled fine with a small screen. Engine great when revved. Only dislike was wouldn't chug happily in town or when just chilling on a back road. Limited tire choice if wanted more grip on dirt.

Bmw R1200GS adventure. Just does everything so well. Long distance, twisties, camping, slow speed chugging. Only downside is heavy if have to turn around in a dead end while exploring. A bit heavy to risk too much off road if alone.

I have had few enduro bikes also but service intervals are pain.

Tried the various options above looking for the perfect do it all bike. Fun on road, capable of exploring when the tarmac ends, able to do a few weeks touring.

Reluctant to change the GS as its just faultless except its weight at standstill. Gets used for trips abroad or camping but not for exploring small roads/tracks which I miss. The mix of grunt and natural engine braking make them very swift on mountain roads.

So, what might I think of a Sled in comparison. Its cold here now and some distance to test ride one unless serious.

Id be giving up a lot in power/practically and capability from the GS.

How many miles will a Sled do to a tank full when touring?
Is the fuelling smooth a low speed?

Thanks Rob
I love my DS, its the combination of either paved road or gravel/dirt that really makes it a great all-around bike for me. I have had zero issues at 5k miles, runs like a top. I like the low rpm grunt and high rpm as well-no chugging or fueling issues. I've done some mild single-track too, no problems. Its a bit heavy to pickup if you don't have good footing out on a trail, and fuel range is limited, but I've been gettin 45-55 mpg regularly and can carry extra fuel if needed. I put on the stock side racks and stock rear rack and have been able to attach a variety of my own bags etc easily. I have found it more exciting and interesting to ride than the BMW 800 and Kawasaki Versys I've used recently. An after-market seat was necessary for me as well, I went with a custom maker locally and am very pleased-Its now an "all-day" bike. Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
"But after looking all over the internet I found a great solution and very cheap also "

Care to share?
Nelson-Rigg CL-2014 Journey Mini Bolsa de Tanque para Motocicleta, Montaje magnético, Negro, Mediano https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B018AXNG86/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zIx3DbQ55906X

Nelson-Rigg SE-3050-BLK - Alforjas secas para Motocicleta de Aventura, de Lujo, Negro, Una Talla https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B01N4UA2FR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HHx3DbRJWH2GQ

US $18.40 8%OFF | 1 PC Motorcycle Saddle Bags Mounting Brackets Side bag Bracket Black For Ducati Scrambler

The Brackets won't fit right away with the DS 2019 that I strongly recommend because it has a really comfortable seat. Cornering abs and off road mode and also hidraulic clutch. But with some 50 cents bolts bought on home depot fits perfect.

I almost never use both because I put a small 5 gallon inside the dry bags but the deser fox and the dry bags fits perfect and you can put compression bags on top of the dry bags and you can carry almost everything you need for camping or long trips

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 8 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
My DS is the best do it all bike I've yet to find that has STYLE.
I enjoying picking girls up on this, then trying to imagine them getting on a GS. Most I've gotten out of a tank was 160 and I was nearly bone dry. It has quicker acceleration to highway speed than my KLR, Nightster 1200, DRZ etc. But I know I'd prob get spanked by a GS. Offroad in the sand and loose stuff feels really nice with the fatter tire (although I know many will disagree). So far, anywhere I've wanted to go it's taken me. That being said, it can be a delicate Ducati. If you're after functionality/features go GS, Tenere, etc. If you like a nimbly, fun, stylish bike that will do most of what you ask for it with a bit of grunting, go DS. That being said, aftermarket parts for this thing is a fucking nightmare at times.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Any more views on how the motor runs.

Smooth / surging / snatchy at any revs?

Cruising tank range

Service issues

Thanks Rob
The motor is quite smooth above ~4k rpm, a bit chuggy below that, but will chug down fairly low and rather smoothly in slow going, just don't expect to whack the throttle open and get an electric motor smooth flow of power, most 90 deg V-twins aren't that smooth below 4k rpm. I don't have any issues putting along city streets or back roads at slow speeds, plenty smooth for that and it pulls good from 4k on up to redline with fairly strong torque from an 800. Mine fuels pretty well, not too much snatchy running overall. At freeways speeds the engine is very smooth.

Cruising range, hmmm....... that is the Achilles heal of this bike if you ask me. The sexy fuel tank only holds 3.5 gal and I seem to average around 40-45 mpg on our crap California "gas". If you live somewhere with real gasoline you will probably get around 10% better. I do get closer to 50 mpg riding in the mountains. I think the engine spins a bit too fast on the freeway for good mpg. Unfortunately it's the sort of bike you really enjoy exploring on so the small fuel tank rather hinders that. Right now I put a 1 gal rotopax on the tail rack and am looking at larger fuel tank options but those are mostly custom build it yourself options at the moment.

As for servicing, overall it's like most any bike with 2 exceptions. Desmo valves that are hard to get to, and the cam belts need to be changed every couple years or so. Besides the valves and belts it's an average bike to work on, maybe a bit tight spaced to work on, but pretty much average. My clutch is a light switch when cold, after it warms up it's fine. I have not had any failures so far. I'm around 5,500 miles or so I think.

While I really enjoy mine it's not my only bike and I'm not positive it would be the ideal choice for you either given your comments and experience with other bikes. A Vstrom 650 might be closer to ideal I "think" or possibly a Tiger 800 in the right flavor, possibly even an Africa Twin or the new Yamaha T700 if you can get them where you are. We're still waiting for those here in the States. I have a Moto Guzzi Stelvio for my long distance bike which it's great for, but ya..... it's a friggen heavy beast to move around which is why I ride other bikes around town more often. The Desert Sled does feel pretty light, closer to a 650 single in feel that way. It's very close in weight and feel to my Husky TR650.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts