Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my idea: Insert some kind of metal rod into both of the two rear frame holes (the ones people are always installing plug kits for). Me and a buddy would use the rods to lift the bike onto standard standard jack stands. Would this work without damaging the bike? If not, why?
Thanks
CW

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes and no. It would definitely hold the bike up but jack stands aren't going to be nearly as stable as a rear stand for working on the bike. You also wouldn't be able to remove the rear wheel obviously.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm talking about the hole on the frame near the oil window. They don't go through (as far as I know). They're around 2" deep. So two rods, one for each side, long enough to fit in the hole, AND act as a handle for lifting the bike onto a jack stand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will argue about how stable that arrangement is. With a paddock stand the entire frame of the stand is rigid. That means that the entire width of the stand is the pivot point and is as a result very very hard to knock over. With jack stands each jack stand has its own pivot point, meaning that only the width of the base of the stand provides stability. With a typical 6-8" stand base you are sacrificing a LOT of stability versus a 24" wide paddock stand.

For basic maintenance, chain adjustment, cleaning, etc it's fine, but I definitely wouldn't put any serious torque or lateral force on anything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: Plan won't safely work. Frame holes are only about 1-1.5 " deep. Too much risk that one man would slip or lean too much in one direction.

·
Registered
816 Posts
There is a reason paddock stands are pretty universal in most garages. Even in motoGP etc...

I had a custom stand made up like the Abba stands that are very popular. The mounting point at the axle requires a super wide stand on the Scrambler. It is more secure when all in place but it's way more faff than a simple paddock stand and some bobbins.

My bike has the Giles Tooling chain adjusters and they are amazingly simple to use with a stand. takes seconds to lift the bike.
AXB Kettenspanner

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
There is a reason paddock stands are pretty universal in most garages. Even in motoGP etc...

I had a custom stand made up like the Abba stands that are very popular. The mounting point at the axle requires a super wide stand on the Scrambler. It is more secure when all in place but it's way more faff than a simple paddock stand and some bobbins.

My bike has the Giles Tooling chain adjusters and they are amazingly simple to use with a stand. takes seconds to lift the bike.
AXB Kettenspanner
I like these!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts