Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Would you buy the bike again if you had it back?

• Yes, take my money!!

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Maybe but would look at other options too

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • No :(

Votes: 3 9.4%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Sorry for long first post...

I recently sold my last motorcycle and thought I may hang it up for a while but the itch to ride is still there. While looking at what bike to purchase next, I knew I wanted to step away from supersport bikes that I had in the past to something with a more upright seating position. I stumbled upon the Ducati Scrambler, the bike looks great and has that wow factor, take it anywhere you want to go. I had been watching countless YouTube videos and reading tons of forum post, telling my friends about it, I was sure that this was the bike for me.

Well, I had a chance to demo it on a 45 min ride recently and it was not the smile inducing bike I was hoping for. Right from the start I was trying to find the clutch engagement point, it's so far out that the lever is almost fully disengaged, for the first 10 minutes I was in traffic and wondering if I was going to stall and drop the bike, eventually I got used to it and could start from a stop light with the flow of traffic and not look like a newb riding for the first time and holding up traffic. Now that I could get it moving, the low end torque is quite nice but the gears run out really quick and I was bouncing off the limiter, I think I would prefer a taller gear but I guess I would lose out on that torque to compromise for it. I've also experience the twitchy throttle I read about in low RPMs, I was in a traffic circle in first gear and just a little twist had it surging forward, I would normally be able to feather this with the clutch but with it grabbing at the end, it feels as if the clutch is on or off and could not control the power so I pretty much let it slowly roll through and didn't throttle until the bike was upright after I completed the turn. I had to come to a sudden stop on my ride, I've heard so much praise about the brakes and that it only being 400lbs, single disc was plenty but I found it to be mushy and did not stop very well, perhaps I should have grabbed it harder and let the ABS kick in if it needed to.

Overall, I was not overly thrilled with my experience from the bike that I had been spending hours watching videos and reading about, this may be because I'm so used to sport bikes, I want similar performance but in a Scrambler form factor. Maybe I just need to take it out longer to get a better feel of the bike. Question for owners though, does your clutch engage at the end? I assume this can be changed, I mentioned it to the sale person but he did not comment about it. Do you find that you want a taller gear when riding? Do you find your throttle twitchy, how do you manage it? I didn't notice any issues with the suspension on my ride but are most owners happy with the stock suspension? Last thing, I know a lot of people pre-ordered without test riding it so if you had it back, would you buy it again?

Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
The clutch can and should be adjusted. The gearing can be changed by switching the front sprocket for a 16t. You really don't notice the loss of torque, it just goes a little faster and smoother. The Termi race exhaust and remapping takes care of the twitch in the throttle. I have ridden 3 different Scramblers, they all felt different. They all felt fine after a period of adjustment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been riding super sport liter bikes for the last 15 years and really like the handling and power of these bikes. Actualy still have a CBR1000RR, however, I can only do about 1 hour on these at a time, then I need to break & stretch, back / legs are are cramped and tight. I went for the scrambler as a change in riding style, so I could cruise & be comfortable, more upright position, easy on the back and knees. So far, I can't say I'm fully content on scrambler for that purpose. It seems that Ducati kind of cheated on suspension, but otherwise, power, gearing, braking, cool factor, are all up to what I expected. So far, I upgraded the rear shock to an Ohlins which was a major improvement, and will upgrade the front shocks once I find a suitable option. I am disappointed that I have to spend extra on these suspension parts, but every bike I've owned, I've done at least a few hundred $$$ worth of upgrades on. For the price, I probably would buy again. For now, I will keep my F/T, along with my CBR, which may eventually become dedicated track weapon. Next year I'm planning on going the Monster 1200s route, and then I'll decide whether the scrambler stays in the stable.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I currently also have a Panigale and have ridden sports bikes for the last 30 plus years. My quick answers as follows:

Question for owners though, does your clutch engage at the end? I assume this can be changed
Yes it does. and I think you'd be able to fettle the biting point. Personally I don't mind it as you can be really lazy with it and it does the job admirably and isn't hard on your left wrist. :)

Do you find that you want a taller gear when riding?
Yes, but again that can be sorted if you want to by changing sprockets. Personally it doesn't bother me as it keeps my speed down and I can ride briskly and take in all the scenery. If I want to ride like a lunatic I ride my Panigale. :p

Do you find your throttle twitchy, how do you manage it?
You get used to it. :)

I didn't notice any issues with the suspension on my ride but are most owners happy with the stock suspension?
I have no issues at all with the suspension and I've thrown the bike into all sorts of gnarly and nadgery situations taking into account some of the most rutted and potholed roads in the western world! I have been able to ride this bike on some roads I wouldn't go anywhere near on a sports bike. And that, to me is the fun of the Scrambler.

I also did a 1142 mile weekend trip up to Scotland a few weeks ago, and it kept up with all the sportsbikes on the trip, and outshone a few too (down to the rider ;)) and it was pretty comfortable for 300 mile stints in the saddle.

Also maybe I am the perfect size for the suspension. Who knows but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. :)

Last thing, I know a lot of people pre-ordered without test riding it so if you had it back, would you buy it again?
I had literally a 30 second ride around the dealers car park before I ordered mine. Would I buy again? In a heartbeat. This bike is a different ride to the Panigale. It can be sedate if you want it to be. It can be feisty if you want it to be. It can be used on not so perfect roads if you want it to. You can pose on it if you want to. It is a completely different riding experience from a sports bike. And I wanted the two types of riding available to me.

If you want sports bike performance and handling, get a sports bike. The Scrambler is a very different proposition and none the worse because of it. In fact I'd go so far as to say that it does what it is meant to do do, brilliantly :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
After 3500km, a full weekend of 750km with 200km of torrential rain, lots of small twisty roads, a few small mountains, my answer would be yes. I ordered without batting an eyelid after sseing the scrambler. I have since ridden a KTM Duke, MT-09 and various other bikes which were all on my short list and everytime I have got back on the scrambler and thought "YES" I´m back home.
Even with its shortcomings on the suspension side its still a lot better than a lot of other bikes in stock condition, sure its no BMW GS or Pan European but 2 of my mates werent able to sit any longer on their bikes on the tour we did, in fact I was able to ride longer than them and they all had a problem keeping up when the roads got twisty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate the feedback, though of course in the end it's my decision, I do like to hear other's opinions.

I figured most of my concerns could be taken care of, it just seems like it could be a hassle if it doesn't work for me out of the crate. Though it does sound like everyone is happy with their bike thus far so that's good. A couple of you have other bikes to go along with it, I think it would be a great second bike but that's not really an option for me, so let me ask another question to those with multiple bikes, would you keep it as your only bike?

I've been riding for about 10 years now, I used to have a CBR1000RR as well, I could go about 2 hours before my back started to ache but I could manage a 6-7 hour day if needed though I would be feeling it the next day. Now I want something more comfortable, in a more up right position and I do like the naked look. I thought the Scrambler was the one for me, all of those review and test ride videos sold me but maybe I'm not the one for the Scrambler. Currently, I have peaked an interest in the Triumph Street Triple R, that may be more up my alley but I have yet to ride it, any opinions on that?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I knew instantly that I wanted the scrambler and I think you need to get that feeling from it.
It's definitely a grower for me.......I like it more and more.
I also have a Diavel,which I haven't ridden since I bought the scrambler back in May.I will probably sell the Diavel, but I won't be any hurry to replace it to run along side my scrambler.
At the moment the scrambler does everything I want it to do.
Eventually I will get another bike but I think the scrambler will be a keeper.
Horses for courses.Judging by your comments,it ain't the bike for you.
Good luck finding the right one.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
............... so let me ask another question to those with multiple bikes, would you keep it as your only bike?
When I open the garage door it is the first bike I am starting to head for. The Panigale will, at some point be chopped in or sold (in fact I did seriously think about it last week when someone asked me if I wanted to sell it, but I don't think I'm ready to give it up quite yet) but the Scrambler is a keeper.

Its not blisteringly fast. It's not meant to be. But it is a heap of fun to throw round corners and just enjoy. I've done the 150mph plus for years now and having done it, it no longer flicks my switch as it once did. Don't get me wrong I still occasionally enjoy the speeds I can get to on the Pani and to trying to get my knee down (done it a couple of times in the past year) but throwing the Scrambler round corners is more fun to me now. Plus with all the "safety" cameras and policing on today's roads, it is hard to justify having a race rep for road riding.

As you say ultimately it's your money and your choice but it sounds to me that you're not ready to move away from a sporty bike. Perhaps the Triumph Street Triple R is the right bike for you at this point in time. Try it and see. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
All of the above! I just put a throttle tamer on which sorted the quick throttle not used to that couldn't get used to it!
front suspension will be sorted over winter rear I will see how the front end fettles!
I bought unridden just love the style and it meets my needs for a weekender to enjoy dont plan to do any touring on it or really long journeys (Ok a toy lol) and no intention of going off road properly unless the carpark is gravel of course!
BUT I'd be speaking to the dealer re that bike needing a bit of attention and ask to ride a different one to see what people mean by each one seems a little different!
Good luck dont give up on first ride try again on a different one or different dealer if there is one near enough

·
Registered
589 Posts
I put a deposit down months before I rode one! It took me a while to get used to a naked bike on the test ride, then loved it? I'd buy another no questions. Clutch is adjustable, and the fact that the dealer didn't do that for you says more about the dealer than the bike. I've changed my gearing, which gives you more comfy motorway cruising, and helps the throttle response as well ;-) I absolutely love mine, and I've owned more bikes, including Ducatis, than I can remember.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The throttle and suspension seem to be two of the major concerns on these bikes... The suspension will have a readily available remedy as time goes by and the throttle issue, as some of the members have mentioned will train you (or youll get used to it). The clutch can be adjusted and should be easily done by your dealer. I had no issues with mine. My initial observation with the scrambler was the quality of the parts used. They are not expensive bikes to begin with.

That being said, I have both a monster and a scrambler and love them both...neither one is a panigale but they serve my needs well. Yes, I would buy it again; given the chance.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Got used to the throttle. Suspension is not terrible but a new rear shock certainly improves things. No issue with Icon seat and bike fits me like a glove. Would i buy again? Yep in a heart beat :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Buy again is the current question for me. I share a FT with my son. He rides it most of the time so I get to sit at home. I have been thinking of buying another bike so we can ride together. So an Icon comes to mind since there are so many thinks I've changed on the FT. However, do I want to buy another Scrambler that requires modifications or something else that is different, a Monster? Not sure at this point. I'm short and cannot flat foot the FT so my options are actually limited.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
If you can't flat foot the Scrambler then you won't be able to flat foot a Monster.

Have you tried a monkey bike? ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you can't flat foot the Scrambler then you won't be able to flat foot a Monster.

Have you tried a monkey bike? ;)
LOL Honda GROM here I come. I can flat foot that. But there is no way anyone can enjoy riding a Grom after riding a Scrambler.

Looks like another Scrambler with all the fun of changing/upgrading parts. My only minor worry is having two scramblers with the same problems if they should develop over time. Except for the Clutch which was replaced, the FT has been great. Lots of fun and I don't find the seat or suspension too annoying.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here's my take. I don't have quite the experience that others have here. Rode a dirt bike growing up and then bought a brand new 2000 TT600 as my first bike. I was 26, wheelied and dropped it after the first service, got hit by a car (not my fault), and then high-sided on the twisties going way to fast and that was it. Fast forward 13yrs later and I said, f%$^@ I want a bike so bad. So I think the Scrambler is a great "first bike". Not exactly a new rider but acting like one and taking it serious this time around. Well I still have the need for speed. I've owned my Scrambler for 7 weeks now and I have 2500 miles on it. Yeah, I like it a lot and have been riding almost everyday. Agreed, suspension could be better, throttle response could be better, top speed is 129mph, could be faster, but tons of torque. I can do first gear wheelies. Seat sucks ass. Can only go about 60miles and then I'm like damn the seat sucks. But I can manage the bike like no problem. It is very forgiving if I make a mistake. ABS does work as I've had 2 close calls where I had to stomp on the brakes and the ABS engaged. Otherwise I would probably have crashed. Manageable at low speeds unlike your CBR1000RR that wants to go go go. Would I buy again? Yes. Will I sell it? Probably not as I'd like to have another bike that is faster, more sporty, and have two bikes in the garage to choose from depending on my mood.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've never had a ride on a Street Triple. But I've owned a 1050 Speed Triple for a number a years, and if I could only have one bike, that would be it. I should add to be honest that the Speed Trip is heavily modified to fit me: Handlebar is a bit higher, seat a bit flatter and lower, and there's a bunch of aftermarket stuff, including an exhaust. This is the bike I'd take across the mountain or across the country (and I have). It's just as effortless in the twisties as the Scrambler, weighs about the same, and makes much more power, with a lovely wide power band.

That said, the Scrambler holds its own place in my garage. Having sorted the seat and suspension and fitted the race Termi, it fits me very well, feels like an old friend. Compared to my Triumph, the lower seat height and high wide handlebar of the Scrambler make me look better padding around in parking lots. The ride position is easier on back, knees -- and wrists, except at highway speeds. And it sounds more beautiful.

If you're going to have only one bike, it's somewhat about the length of your arms and legs, but even more about the type of riding that's most important to you. I could take my Scrambler across the US, but the big square states, where state troopers are few and corn fields and oil fields are boring, would seem a lot wider than on the Speed Triple.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It sounds like the Street Triple would be more up your alley mate. It's an absurdly well performing and refined mid level street bike. But it is only exceptional at one thing - street and to some extent track work.

The Scrambler off the showroom floor does most things very well but with some refinements it can be exceptional at many things. Yes it's going cost you but I think most owners will agree they are grin inspiring mods and worth every cent.

While the targeted demographic of young hipster mostly missed the mark I think Ducati Mad Men definitely hit the nail on the head with the whole "freedom" thing. I love that I can get low in the twisties then veer off onto that rocky fire-trail for a scenic shortcut. Good luck doing that on a Striple!

Empty wallet but a big grin

No regrets

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I've never had so much fun riding riding a bike as I did when I bought my Scrambler and after over 4,000 miles , that hasn't changed one little bit, :D

I'll still buy other bikes to try out etc etc, but I can honestly say the Scrambler will be in my garage for a long time, I'ts certainly not perfect out of the box, but with a few mods it can be, I'm sure I've spent a fortune on mods:rolleyes: but it's all been worth it, ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts