Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this question is out of place, but considering selling my Multistrada 1100S. I love the engine and suspension on my Multi but finding that I really don't have time to do any touring right now and looking for more of a standard in town bike with occasional back road rides through the twisty roads.

I was a little disappointed to see the 1100DS engine has been detuned a bit from the one that was in the Multi. Also concerned about the piston slap thread I saw.

There is a used 2019 with 200 miles here for sale for $8500 (standard non S model). Does the standard suspension feel rigid enough to do well in sport riding (for a bigger guy)?
Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My personal opinion, having only owned a handful of junkers over the past 25 years and the Scrambler 1100 is my first new bike:
  • My understanding is the engine detuning was to flatten the torque curve and comply with Italian exhaust standards. The bike still hauls and I have to hang on if I really get down on it. Here in Sacramento, highway traffic can move steadily between 80 - 90mph and the bike keeps up fine. I'm ~200 lbs and can quickly throttle away from clumps of traffic without having to downshift. I've also accidentally left the bike in 2nd gear and 3rd gear when coming to a red light, and it'll still accelerate without killing the engine. Basically, it's hard to ride the bike wrong.
  • I enjoy how the bike handles. I read a lot of critics claim the Scrambler bike is aimed at new and inexperienced riders, but whatever... I've been riding a long time and don't want to feel like I need to be "advanced" to enjoy myself.
  • The 1100 comes with the Ducati Traction System and it's already saved me a few times, but AFAIK, the DTS can't be completely disabled on the Scrambler 1100.
  • I find the seat terribly uncomfortable and want to replace it. I often find myself sliding up and almost riding the tank.
  • The aftermarket is very limited for the Scrambler 1100. Seems like there's plenty for the 800, but I feel like Ducati treats the 1100 as an after-thought.
The biggest question is, if I had a chance to do it all over, would I still get the 1100? I don't know... probably not. That's not to say that I completely regret my decision, but I personally would prefer something a little more comfortable on longer rides in the countryside with my wife, gives good wind blockage, and still works as a daily commuter. In my mind, the Multistrada seems to check those boxes better than the Scrambler 1100.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My personal opinion, having only owned a handful of junkers over the past 25 years and the Scrambler 1100 is my first new bike:
  • My understanding is the engine detuning was to flatten the torque curve and comply with Italian exhaust standards. The bike still hauls and I have to hang on if I really get down on it. Here in Sacramento, highway traffic can move steadily between 80 - 90mph and the bike keeps up fine. I'm ~200 lbs and can quickly throttle away from clumps of traffic without having to downshift. I've also accidentally left the bike in 2nd gear and 3rd gear when coming to a red light, and it'll still accelerate without killing the engine. Basically, it's hard to ride the bike wrong.
  • I enjoy how the bike handles. I read a lot of critics claim the Scrambler bike is aimed at new and inexperienced riders, but whatever... I've been riding a long time and don't want to feel like I need to be "advanced" to enjoy myself.
  • The 1100 comes with the Ducati Traction System and it's already saved me a few times, but AFAIK, the DTS can't be completely disabled on the Scrambler 1100.
  • I find the seat terribly uncomfortable and want to replace it. I often find myself sliding up and almost riding the tank.
  • The aftermarket is very limited for the Scrambler 1100. Seems like there's plenty for the 800, but I feel like Ducati treats the 1100 as an after-thought.
The biggest question is, if I had a chance to do it all over, would I still get the 1100? I don't know... probably not. That's not to say that I completely regret my decision, but I personally would prefer something a little more comfortable on longer rides in the countryside with my wife, gives good wind blockage, and still works as a daily commuter. In my mind, the Multistrada seems to check those boxes better than the Scrambler 1100.
Thank you for the great information! I had a chance to sit on one this weekend. It's a great looking bike and very happy that Ducati brought this model out with that beautiful 1100DS engine (the best engine they ever made in my opinion :))
Unfortunately for me the ergos didn't work as I'm too tall. Either going to stick with my Multistrada, and get a CB1100 for cruising or trade/sell my Multi and get a Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE which fits me well.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Are you boasting when you say you are too tall? Most normal people struggle on their tip toes with the majority of bikes 😂

·
Registered
51 Posts
These are two entire different bikes! I am coming from BMW R1200GS and changed it to the 1100 Sport as it was too heavy, too "perfect" with two many "bling-bling" and electronics that the pure feeling of riding a bike was lost for me. I am extremely happy with my 1100 and the 85 HP are enough, the air cooled engine with the torque is a masterpiece. Go to your dealer and get one rented for one day - and go somewhere in curvy roads in the alps - then you will see the difference and feel the "fun factor". I did so and after this day I sold my BMW and never missed it even one day.....

Best Regards

Kurt

·
Registered
838 Posts
These are two entire different bikes! I am coming from BMW R1200GS and changed it to the 1100 Sport as it was too heavy, too "perfect" with two many "bling-bling" and electronics that the pure feeling of riding a bike was lost for me. I am extremely happy with my 1100 and the 85 HP are enough, the air cooled engine with the torque is a masterpiece. Go to your dealer and get one rented for one day - and go somewhere in curvy roads in the alps - then you will see the difference and feel the "fun factor". I did so and after this day I sold my BMW and never missed it even one day.....

Best Regards

Kurt
I wish I could get to the Alps in one day;) But after owning a couple of BMW boxers I certainly agree.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts