Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
At 4,000 miles now the engine is not starting as quickly as it used to and this morning it took a couple of goes on the starter button (air temp 3C but garaged overnight). When it did fire up the engine warning triangle and yellow light showed for the duration of the ride. After arriving at work (11 miles) I switched off the ignition and then back on. No yellow light.

Any advice please? Was it just too much drain on the battery or something else?

Many thanks, Duncan

·
Registered
764 Posts
If the yellow warning triangle lights up there will be a message alongside it telling you what area the warning refers to. If the problem was too low (or too high) a battery voltage it would say BATT.
In your case I presume it said ENGINE, which could mean a fault with the throttle position sensor (TPS), the throttle stepper motor, the MAP sensor, coolant temperature sensor, injection relay, an ignition coil, fuel injector, rpm sensor, starter relay or the secondary air system valve.
Any of these could have been the cause but since the light has gone out the fault must have cleared although it may still be stored in the ECU. The DTC code will be more specific to the fault. A dealer can read and clear any stored fault codes

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Derek,
Many thanks for the comprehensive response. I never touch the throttle when starting but it did say ENGINE, yes.

The bike is used 6 days a week - do you really think a trickle charger is necessary? I believe the next Service is at 6,000 miles which will be approx mid-June. I suppose I can bring that forward if the issue persists or degrades.

Regards, Duncan

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it persists, get it to your dealer. May well be worth mentioning when you drop it in for it's next service, as some ECUs store past faults as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm very familiar with automobile fault codes and OBD-II scanner interfaces and protocols (ISO 9141-2, KWP2000, ISO 15765 CAN, etc.).

The Scrambler is my first bike. What protocol does Ducati use? Can a laptop-based OBD-II scanner read the bike faults codes just by rewiring the proper pins?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm very familiar with automobile fault codes and OBD-II scanner interfaces and protocols (ISO 9141-2, KWP2000, ISO 15765 CAN, etc.).

The Scrambler is my first bike. What protocol does Ducati use? Can a laptop-based OBD-II scanner read the bike faults codes just by rewiring the proper pins?
You might find that difficult. It is CAN based but I believe Ducati use their own protocol. There are people who have been trying to reverse engineer the codes for the Siemens M3C ECU for several years and are just beginning to get there now: JPDiag :: M3C / Mitsu ecus

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine, about the same mileage, from new started first turn. Now if it sits for a week is slow to hit...almost like mixture isn't rich enough. Once running..flawless. Keeping the battery topped helps, but doesn't make it go away.

Anybody looked at the spark pugs? I had an old Virago once that ate plugs regularly.

Not so bad really, just different . I'll talk to my service guy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did anybody find any solutionin this problems.I have same issues with my cafe racer and authorised dealer can't find any solution. :angry4::angry4::angry4:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts