Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Repairs to my SCR 1100 were finished and bike returned to me today. They replaced the piston/cylinder kit and a valve, believed to have contacted the piston. I rode the bike home (35 miles), the clatter is gone, much of the vibration that annoyed me is also gone. I did a quick video and added a segment of the noise as it was before the repairs for comparison.

Great work on the video! Verry clear audible difference in the before and after the work has done.
It looks like you even had an additional problem then with even a hitting valve.
Verry nice to hear that the bike is feeling and sounding a lot better. Great work by the dealer solving your problems as not all dealers are willing to admit and solve the problems.
I'm pretty convinced by now my bike is also having the piston slap problem allthough in the beginning it was hard for me to tell as the bike sounded like this from new. But listening to the video of my bike I made for Ducati Italy to judge I clearly hear a metallic clattering noise, esspecially when the bike is cold. I hope my bike gets sorted as well as yours has and also in time for the season to start(wich is at least a couple of months from now).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is there any legal way to solve the problem if the importer is denying the issue?

I can imagine in every country are particularities...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am in this situation. I wrote several posts above.

The importer said that Ducati declared my version is 2019 and it was solved before delivering the model. This statement is bullshit since i hear the sound.
There are two options:
  • Importer is a liar and he didn't send the official claim to Ducati.
  • Ducati is trolling with the customers/importer.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I am in this situation. I wrote several posts above.

The importer said that Ducati declared my version is 2019 and it was solved before delivering the model. This statement is bullshit since i hear the sound.
There are two options:
  • Importer is a liar and he didn't send the official claim to Ducati.
  • Ducati is trolling with the customers/importer.
Can't you tell by the VIN number what the year of production is in some way?
I doubt if the importer is messing with you but you could also try to contact Ducati Italy directly.
The only way you could do something legaly is if you have proof of something being wrong. So if you take it apart and find the old model piston or proof of for instance valves hitting the piston or wear on the cilinder wall then you have something to start with but now you say it doesn't sound right and that you don't believe what's being told to you. You could also inspect the cilinder I guess with a fiber optic camera so you basicly just have to remove spark plugs and the exhaust header I guess.
Doesn't the dealer have a new 2019(or other dealer) model and how does this sound in comparisson? Shurely it will be verry hard to deny your bike is sounding different/wrong if you put it next to another one?

I wish you luck and hope everything gets solved.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can't you tell by the VIN number what the year of production is in some way?
II wish you luck and hope everything gets solved.
Everything I've read indicates that the problem was cured on or before the 2019 model year was released. It's conceivable that prior year cylinder and piston sets were wrongly used in 2019 engines, but with Audi calling the shots, not very likely.
The 10th character of your VIN (vehicle identification number) should be "K" for a model year 2019. For MY 2018, it will be a "J". Look on the right side of the headstock of your bike, count over from the first letter (Z) to the tenth character. Or check your ownership or license papers.

1577926652154.png

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Repairs to my SCR 1100 were finished and bike returned to me today. They replaced the piston/cylinder kit and a valve, believed to have contacted the piston. I rode the bike home (35 miles), the clatter is gone, much of the vibration that annoyed me is also gone. I did a quick video and added a segment of the noise as it was before the repairs for comparison.

Wow!!! Night and day difference! Good Job on the recordings and thanks for posting!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow!!! Night and day difference! Good Job on the recordings and thanks for posting!
The original diagnosis I got from the dealer was that the exhaust valve was hitting the top of the piston, which could have been caused by the belt being a tooth off. Then the tech dug further into it and observed more wear on the cylinder wall than normal for a low (850) mileage engine and submitted a claim to DNA for the piston kit. Between replacing the valve and piston/cylinder, the noise and vibration problem were solved.
I suspect that 95% of the clatter you're hearing on my engine was the exhaust valve tapping the piston. I think they could have replaced that and made me happy. "Piston slap" on an engine seems to be like stuttering on a human; annoying but not dangerous.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Okay I got my bike back. For comparison, here is the before:

And now after the fix:

Warm:

And here is what was done:
20200111_144955.jpg

20200111_145028.jpg

Was advised that the repairs were $4000+ 😱

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Okay I got my bike back. For comparison, here is the before:

And now after the fix:

Warm:

And here is what was done:
View attachment 44093
View attachment 44094

Was advised that the repairs were $4000+ 😱
That sound so much better! Glad yours is fixed. I don't think my bike sounds ad bad as yours but I do hear some of the same noises.
The cilinder and piston are about a 1000 euro's in parts but I don't know what they would cost over there. 4000 dollars sounds a bit much wondering how much time it takes a mechanic to replace the cilinder and piston.
Thanks for the great before and after and hope you have many problem free miles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That sound so much better! Glad yours is fixed. I don't think my bike sounds ad bad as yours but I do hear some of the same noises.
The cilinder and piston are about a 1000 euro's in parts but I don't know what they would cost over there. 4000 dollars sounds a bit much wondering how much time it takes a mechanic to replace the cilinder and piston.
Thanks for the great before and after and hope you have many problem free miles.
I wouldn't be suprised if they quoted this as a 12 hour job or something.

I don't know what their hourly rate is but would also no be surprised if it was upwards of $200 an hour.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I wouldn't be suprised if they quoted this as a 12 hour job or something.

I don't know what their hourly rate is but would also no be surprised if it was upwards of $200 an hour.
That could very well be. Over here the hourly rate is between 70 and 100 euro's. What I heard from the mechanic I spoke to it was a job that could be done in a day as I understand it. But it doesn't mather, main thing is that your bike is running excellent right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Folks,

I'm a new member to this forum but I've been lurking around for a bit when I found this forum through Google search. I posted a pic on Instagram of my brother and my Scrambler 1100s being dropped off at a local dealership for investigation of excessive engine noise. A forum member name Ronald reached out to me and wanted me to add to this thread.

It seems like most folks here with 2018 models are having the same issues so I'll keep my story short. I originally thought our bikes sounded noisier than other Ducatis I've heard. I still have a 2012 Monster 796 and my brother used to have a 2012 Diavel Carbon so we both have previous experiences with Ducati. However after a month of owning his bike, my brother noticed the engine has a loud metallic clanking sound and took it back to the original dealership he bought it from. The sales rep said it was normal and all new Scrambler 1100s are supposed to sound like that. We just took his words for it and left the issue unresolved for a few months.

In December I took my Scrambler to a private shop in town in hopes of doing some upgrades to the bike and the shop owner said my bike has an unusually loud noise that he has never heard in any Ducatis he has worked on. He pointed me to another dealership called Good Times Motorsport to get a second opinion. My bro and I dropped off our bikes at GT Motorsports after Christmas holiday and they had a local Ducati rep evaluated the sound. He determined it was piston slap and had the dealership ordered the parts needed. After some shipping errors and 3 weeks later both bikes were fixed and we rode them home last week. Everything was covered under warranty and we both noticed the engine sounds much better after the repair. The bikes' performance improved as well.

We are happy that we found a dealership willing to admit there's a problem and worked with us to solve the problem. We plan to keep these bikes for a long time since we love the performance and look of the 1100s.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Hello Folks,

I'm a new member to this forum but I've been lurking around for a bit when I found this forum through Google search. I posted a pic on Instagram of my brother and my Scrambler 1100s being dropped off at a local dealership for investigation of excessive engine noise. A forum member name Ronald reached out to me and wanted me to add to this thread.

It seems like most folks here with 2018 models are having the same issues so I'll keep my story short. I originally thought our bikes sounded noisier than other Ducatis I've heard. I still have a 2012 Monster 796 and my brother used to have a 2012 Diavel Carbon so we both have previous experiences with Ducati. However after a month of owning his bike, my brother noticed the engine has a loud metallic clanking sound and took it back to the original dealership he bought it from. The sales rep said it was normal and all new Scrambler 1100s are supposed to sound like that. We just took his words for it and left the issue unresolved for a few months.

In December I took my Scrambler to a private shop in town in hopes of doing some upgrades to the bike and the shop owner said my bike has an unusually loud noise that he has never heard in any Ducatis he has worked on. He pointed me to another dealership called Good Times Motorsport to get a second opinion. My bro and I dropped off our bikes at GT Motorsports after Christmas holiday and they had a local Ducati rep evaluated the sound. He determined it was piston slap and had the dealership ordered the parts needed. After some shipping errors and 3 weeks later both bikes were fixed and we rode them home last week. Everything was covered under warranty and we both noticed the engine sounds much better after the repair. The bikes' performance improved as well.

We are happy that we found a dealership willing to admit there's a problem and worked with us to solve the problem. We plan to keep these bikes for a long time since we love the performance and look of the 1100s.
Hey! I'm that Ronald .Thanks for the complete story and update. I'm glad everything turned out so well. I have yet to hear from my dealer but they have sent a video(like many others) to Ducati and I'm waiting for how everything will turn out. I hope it will all turn out as well as your and some other people's stories over here as I also hope to keep this bike for a long time because I absolutely love it.
Hope to see more of you on the forum and of your and your brothers Scrambler 1100, both 2 very cool looking 1100 Scramblers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a guess, but maybe it's easier to get warranty work agreed to by dealers in winter because bike riding and repair work slows down then - and even if they get paid less by Ducati NA, it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a guess, but maybe it's easier to get warranty work agreed to by dealers in winter because bike riding and repair work slows down then - and even if they get paid less by Ducati NA, it's better than nothing.
That's definitely true. Good Times Motorsport said winter is their slow season for sure. When I was there it looked like not many customers are in the showroom floor nor did they have a lot of work orders in the service department. I'm sure if I had claimed warranty for my bike during the summer it would be much longer wait time.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
That sure might help. My dealer is still pretty bussy though also looking for a new mechanic. Also most dealers over here have special winter deals picking up and returning the bike to do service for free in pretty much the whole country. Many people make use of this as there aren't that many dealers in the neighbourhood for a lot of people. End of the week I'll contact them to see if there's any news.

·
Registered
815 Posts
That sure might help. My dealer is still pretty bussy though also looking for a new mechanic. Also most dealers over here have special winter deals picking up and returning the bike to do service for free in pretty much the whole country. Many people make use of this as there aren't that many dealers in the neighbourhood for a lot of people. End of the week I'll contact them to see if there's any news.
Skippy
From your experience and research what percentage of 1100’s have this problem? As you will be aware I’ve not been riding my bike and it’s only done 1k but I have started it many times and can’t hear any noises. I just don’t want it to happen when my warranty has expired.
My service manager said if it hasn’t happened by now it won’t happen at all.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts