Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

· Registered
742 Posts
Just got these Angel GTs on the bike. They compliment the look of the bike so much better. Haven't really pushed them but they feel great so far. View attachment 32601
Angel GT's are my first choice if I switch to 100% road tires.
Avon AV53 / AV54 Trailrider Tires or Shinko 705 Dual Sport Tires are my choices for on/off road tires.
My bike already have almost 2,800 miles, it will be for the end of the year to change for new tires.

· Registered
1,531 Posts
How did the Avon Trailriders work out after you had the front one remounted?
I have an aversion (hatred would be a better word) to Pirelli tyres in general and will be looking to change the OEM ones fairly quickly. I have had Avon Tailriders and both my last Triumph Tigers and love, absolutely love them. Fantastic grip wet and dry, great lifespan and work more than okay in dirt for a 90/10 tyre. The Trailriders make the OEM Metzelar (owned by Pirelli) tyres look, wear and feel like a couple of worn out rubber bands. They are my first choice for the Scrambler so I'm keen to hear from people who have used them.

I've just put 6150 miles or so on a set of Trailriders and I'm completely sold on them. We made a loop thru the Southwest out to California visiting several of the national parks along the way. Handling is very nice for such a beefy front (rear tire mounted in reverse, as you know) no problems wet or dry, and very nice in the gravel down in the Big Bend area of Texas.

Sarah

· Registered
26 Posts
I've just put 6150 miles or so on a set of Trailriders and I'm completely sold on them. We made a loop thru the Southwest out to California visiting several of the national parks along the way. Handling is very nice for such a beefy front (rear tire mounted in reverse, as you know) no problems wet or dry, and very nice in the gravel down in the Big Bend area of Texas.

Sarah
Sarah, can you be specific about the sizes of Trailriders you are using? From what I can determine, the 110/80-18 is not a radial. TIA

· Registered
337 Posts
PR2 done at 6700 mi. About what I expected. Overall I guess I'd rate it average. The PR2 front ... don't like it since it dumped me in a little muddy spot in a gas station parking spot: I'll probably change it soon even though there's miles left in it.

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Synthetic rubber Tread

Since my favorite pavement tends to have grass clippings, dirt, sand, and gravel in unexpected places (and since I like to bomb down gravel/fire roads occasionally), I prefer an AT tire with large sipes or blocks. And since Brigdstone is the only manufacturer that makes a matched set for the Icon (other than OEM Pirelli), on goes the A41.

We'll see how it goes.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Just got these Angel GTs on the bike. They compliment the look of the bike so much better. Haven't really pushed them but they feel great so far.
View attachment 32585 View attachment 32593 View attachment 32601 View attachment 32609
Really like the look of your bike.
How were/are the Angel GT's? I have 2500 miles on the originals and will need to replace at some stage. Have been happy with them but do other brands handle as good and last longer? Don't go off-road at all.

· Registered
121 Posts
How were/are the Angel GT's? I have 2500 miles on the originals and will need to replace at some stage. Have been happy with them but do other brands handle as good and last longer? Don't go off-road at all.
I've had Angel GTs on my Scrambler for a bit over 4,500km and can recommend them with only minor hesitation.

They have all the grip that the Scrambler can use (realistically). And wear-wise, they are waaayyy better than the MT60s. After 4k + mine really don't look significantly worn at all. I fully expect to get 12k out of the rear.

Criticisms? Not much. The front looks very skinny compared to the MT60, and feels a bit edgier when turning in. It's almost like you're losing grip when in reality you're nowhere near the limit. That could be just my old-git self-preservation kicking in though.

bm

· Registered
1,693 Posts
I've had Angel GTs on my Scrambler for a bit over 4,500km and can recommend them with only minor hesitation.

They have all the grip that the Scrambler can use (realistically). And wear-wise, they are waaayyy better than the MT60s. After 4k + mine really don't look significantly worn at all. I fully expect to get 12k out of the rear.

Criticisms? Not much. The front looks very skinny compared to the MT60, and feels a bit edgier when turning in. It's almost like you're losing grip when in reality you're nowhere near the limit. That could be just my old-git self-preservation kicking in though.

bm
Thanks. Will definitely consider them.

· Registered
39 Posts
Thanks man, I've got around 1500 miles on them and and would say they have very good grip, not that the originals had much of a problem anyway but still better grip in the turns and during hard braking. I agree with the other guy that it makes the bike a little edgier which is right up my alley as I like carving the turns and running it hard. I haven't measured the wear on it but they look like they will get at least double of what I got with the stocks.

· Registered
1,565 Posts
Thanks man, I've got around 1500 miles on them and and would say they have very good grip, not that the originals had much of a problem anyway but still better grip in the turns and during hard braking. I agree with the other guy that it makes the bike a little edgier which is right up my alley as I like carving the turns and running it hard. I haven't measured the wear on it but they look like they will get at least double of what I got with the stocks.
I’m not sure how you can get better grip and much better mileage at the same time. The Angel GTs are a harder compound so very unlikey that they can grip any better, in the wet, maybe.
I’m not saying the Angels don’t grip well but just that they can’t possibly grip ‘better’

· Registered
121 Posts
I’m not sure how you can get better grip and much better mileage at the same time. The Angel GTs are a harder compound so very unlikey that they can grip any better, in the wet, maybe.
I’m not saying the Angels don’t grip well but just that they can’t possibly grip ‘better’
Hmmm ... they could grip better because they aren't divided up into small tread blocks (so don't lose surface area), or their profile lays more rubber on the road too..

That said, I'm not sure they actually do. But they're not really any worse either.

bm

· Registered
1,693 Posts
What tyres do you recommend Hui? I don't go off-road at all.

· Registered
1,565 Posts
What tyres do you recommend Hui? I don't go off-road at all.
My pick for road bias would be the Michelin Pilot Power 3 (if I didn’t want the chunky look)
I’ve / we’ve used it on the bigger power bikes and it’s a fantastic allrounder, including track days, touring and Supermoto.
I’ve just fitted the replacement for them to both my 1290 Superduke and my wifes Diavel (240 rear) they’re the Power RS. I’m half way round a tour of Spain and Portugal and can say they are not as good as the old Power 3.
If I can get old new stock when I get home then I’ll be swaping back.
Or, maybe I’ll try the new Michelin Road 5

· Registered
1,693 Posts
My pick for road bias would be the Michelin Pilot Power 3 (if I didn’t want the chunky look)
I’ve / we’ve used it on the bigger power bikes and it’s a fantastic allrounder, including track days, touring and Supermoto.
I’ve just fitted the replacement for them to both my 1290 Superduke and my wifes Diavel (240 rear) they’re the Power RS. I’m half way round a tour of Spain and Portugal and can say they are not as good as the old Power 3.
If I can get old new stock when I get home then I’ll be swaping back.
Or, maybe the new Michelin Road 5
Thanks. That certainly gives me plenty of options, together with others' suggestions.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Yes that is what I did. I mostly ride in town and the roads here are not that good. With recommended tyre pressure the bike was very jumpy. Went about 20% down front and back and the bike became much "softer" to ride. No issues with safety if you just cruise around town. Of course not recommended for touring or spirited riding. Ducatis in general are very stiff. They all have sporty dna. If you are like me and want to take it easy now and then you could play around with the tyre pressure.
That's odd because when I did a track day at Brands Hatch the resident mechanic took my pressures down to 32 f&b.

· Registered
39 Posts
I wanted to go with the Michelins but they don't make the front tire in the OEM size so I opted for the Angel GTs. Better grip and mileage can most definitely be achieved with a different tread design just like Badgermat said the block design causes significant more wear on the oem tires. Tires and traction is a more complex function than just the tire compound. I stand with my statement that it has more grip because there are a few turns by me where the stock rear tire would skip a little bit (wide open throttle condition) and it hasn't happened since I replaced the tires. I also tested hard braking before and after installing the tires and the ABS activated more easily with the stock tires than with the Angel GTs.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts